Which is Best ? Panny E85 or Tosh XDRS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by muzza1uk, Jun 28, 2004.

1. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Help, I'm a self confessed indecisive techno-junkie wanting advice over which DVDRec/HDD combo to buy. I've read the thread on the Tosh and also searched backwards for similar on the Panny, and to be honest it's all too much information ! What I'm looking for is this :-

1) VHS replacement. I record alot of shows like Seinfeld, CSI, etc not film length and I'm always looking for space on tapes.
    2) Best quality DVD and Audio(5.1/DTS soundfields) playback: I own quite a few DVD's and want to enjoy the best of them.
    3) Editing ability to archive the shows I put on the HD in the order I want.
    4) Multi-region.
    5) RGB Scart loop through in standby mode would be a bonus as I have only one RBG compliant socket on my T.V. and both NTL Digital and DVD's look best this way for me.
    6) Progressive Scan , not for today but in the future when I upgrade my T.V.

That's all my current kit consists of a Panny 32in WS T.V., Thompson VHS (Records NTSC&PAL), Sony DVD-7700,Yamaha Amp and Mission FS2 Sub Sat combo, NTL Digital T.V. & 1mb Broadband, PS2.

I bet both players have some features but not all those I require and thus a decision will need to be made, also any players out in the near future may also be considered.

Please help me decided for once, it's taken me 2 years to buy and IPOD!

Muzza1 :lease:

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    The tosh meets ALL your requirements.

Not sure about E85. The tosh has lots of parameters to play with and a resultant steep learning curve. This isnt to say that you cant unpack it plug it in and reecord something, it just means that when you use quick menu, which you will, you will see lots of options where you think what the hell does that do. Its also cheaper than the E85

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Both DVD recorders meet ALL your requirements. The Toshiba has better DVD playback than the Panasonic but the latter is more user friendly. Both are excellent machines.

4. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    muzza1uk

I was in the same situation as you a few weeks back but decided to go with the Tosh as it fits my requirements better. Have a read of my post on Page 5 of nenew33's thread

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137168

Of course my opinion might be biased as I am the owner of the Tosh machine. You might need to get an honest opinion from someone who actually owns both machines or test it out yourself to see which suits you requirement better. One thing I know for sure is that the Tosh (PAL version) do not record NTSC and if this factor is important to you, you will need to check out the other brands.

HTH

5. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    muzza1uk

I don't think you can go wrong with either machine, as they're both great kit that will meet your needs. You don't mention formats but the Tosh being able to record DVD-RW as well as RAM may give it the edge. Is the Tosh now multi-region?

Neither manual is perfect: Tosh manuals are always poorly presented and the Panny one is short on detail. Not sure about the Tosh, but the Panny boasts a multi-brand TV remote (stand-by, volume, AV input and channel functions) which is used all the time in our house.

I have the Panny taking an RGB feed from my NTL box and the results are great, especially for Sky movies. No problems with commercial DVD or CD playback either.

Like you, I'm a Seinfeld fan and have been archiving Paramount's repeats from series 4 onto DVD-R for posterity. Unfortunately the early nineties source material picture quality ain't great (later Seinfeld series are better), but that's not a huge deal when you've got classics like The Contest onto DVD at last!

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    tosh have multi brand remote and one for all have the codes for the RDXS32 if you ownm one of their programmable remotes

7. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    E85 has RF output not just loop through like the Tosh - ie like your VCR used to have. Very useful if you have an aerial distribution network and want to play back HDD recordings, DVD's etc via an RF channel on other TV's etc.

8. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for all your help thus far, I bought a copy of What Video and WS TV today and will give it a peruse. I guess I'm getting swayed towards the Tosh although I don't like the idea of hit or miss excess fan noise, also for no reason at all it would be nice to have the panny (same brand as my TV). Please keep posting opinions and I'll let you know how I decide. Perhaps we should have a league table of who owns what !

:smashin: Muzza1

Slightly off topic, does anyone think it would be worth selling my Sony 7700 after getting this replacement, or has even budget DVD players passed it's performance. Depending which is better I may use it as a CD player in my system.

9. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone in Birmingham area managed to get a Toshiba yet?

The local Richersounds hasn't any in stock and when they have they want 499.95 and not keen on a price match unless its a multi-region.

The two other local dealers (Handsworth) didn't seem to know there was a newer Toshiba as they still sell the 30!

10. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the last one from Richer in Brum 10 days ago - sorry! You have already tried Handsworth - I usually find "rarer" items at the shops on the Soho Road but it sounds like you've already tried them.

I couldn't get a price match at Richer as lower prices on the Net were not multi-region and/or not available from stock.

11. Teppic

Teppic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I got a Tosh XS32 (after following nunew33's various, useful and very informative, threads and posts about this machine for several days) yesterday from Richer Sounds' Stockport branch - tho one of the staff members had to drive up to the Preston branch since that was the only store in the area with any machines in stock.

I'd ask your local branch if they can check if they can get one for you from another of their branches if possible.

As for the in-store price they do say £499 when you ask (even tho their website lists it at £422:95). However, if you go to their site and print out the page which shows the price as being £422:95 then they should sell it to you at that price.

I've yet to totally get my head around the XS32, but so far i've been nothing but pleased with it. It's obviously still early days when it comes to my experiences of using the XS32, but as long as you don't mind having to learn about a lot of complicated features then i'd definitely recommend it! Oh, and although i can hear the fan when the machine is turned on, i don't find it intrusive (and i tend to be very sensitive when it comes to background noise such as fans). Also, i find the picture quality on playback to be nothing short of fantastic...

12. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Electro-centre, Handsworth (Digital Point) are advertising the Toshiba RDXS30 in stock, at £389, inc scart cable and next day delivery.

13. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But they don't list the RDXS32

14. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the person I spoke to didn't even seem to know there was a newer model!!!

Normally they are good with their prices and info and they unually have mutliregion versions.

15. Alanji

Alanji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have linked the Tosh to my VCR (phono to Scart) and then tuned remote TV to the VCR to get round this.

16. Cryogenius

Cryogenius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First let me say that I enjoy this site and it's forum!!

I bought the RD-XS32 from Best Buy for $499 US., Tue. 6-29 to replace my 4 year old Pioneer DV-414 player ($399... Isn't progress grand!), Because of work constaints I have only connected the play mode. I have previewed the movie "Master and Commander" and the difference in my old Pio and the new Tosh is outstanding ( progress again!) I hope to connect the "input" side Saturday. It my be that I will have to connect the recording aspect unconventionally,as I may have to employ a splitter or two. Wish me luck! :)

Mike