1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is best -MPEG or DV formats

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Cliff, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Just been reading about he different digital formats and I notice that the mini dv format is actually encoded in MPEG2.
    The larger DV cassettes were DV format.

Now my question is this .

Can the quality be as good with a mini DV camcorder- given that real time MPEG 2 processing is required.

Secondly, most editing programs are more at home with DV especially when it comes to cutting- re-arranging etc.
    MPEG2 is a little bit more complex to splice with key frames and all that rigmarole.

Is the final output (I use Premier Avisynth and TMPEnc) as good using original material already encoded in MPEG2?

Cliff

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Er not too familiar with digital video but I was under the impression that miniDV and fullsize DV used the same compression scheme and it isn't MPEG2.

3. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I think you're right. I was looking at a catalogue from Jessops and they said mini DV was MPEG. But I suspect this was inaccurate.

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    MiniDV and DV use the same DV compression algorithm. It is not MPEG2.

During capturing onto a PC the incoming Firewire data stream is "repackaged" as an AVI file (of which there are 2 types Type 1 and Type 2) which are easier to deal with for editing.

The main difference between Type 1 and Type 2 DV AVI's is one contains a seperate audio stream to make editing even easier. In fact the original audio is included twice, in the original DV data and as a seperate channel within the same AVI.

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    OK, that explains a lot.

The Jessops catalogue I was reading actually said that that there is a Micro DV format- and this records MPEG 2. (A new Sony format)

I can't imagine this being very versatile when it comes to editing?

6. mogwai

mogwai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me either. I've heard bad reviews of the units featuring this compression as you can only use the sony software for editing as there hasn't been 3rd party software released as yet :

http://www.dansdata.com/dcrip7.htm

7. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    That's a very interesting review- especially as it was supplied by Sony Australia! It confirms my worst fears - that it does record MPEG2 and it cannot be edited easily except by Sony's own software which is nothing like as good as the leaders in the field. The conclusion of the reviewer was thanks but no thanks!