1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is best - Iriver H10 or Ipod mini?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by solo_1138, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. solo_1138

solo_1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone shed some light on this. I thought my mind was made up between the iriver H340 and the Ipod 20gb/ipod mini 4gb, then i noticed the new H10.

The H10 looks very good on paperwork, and has the extra gb over the ipod mini.

Does the H10 support 'on the go'?

Any ideas over which has the best sound

I'm gonna commit my hard earned cash by mid next week so any helpfull thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

:D

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    new ipod mini has 6GB, which gives you choice.

IMO, there is little out there that has the simple usability of the ipod. Its a very simple list/database browsing system but its beauty is its simplicity.

Sound quality I don't know. My colleagues ipod was a little 'light' sounding, lacking in bass. But I think I'm still buying an ipod.

3. solo_1138

solo_1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that must be why they've just dropped the price on the 4gb mini. i listened to the sound from the mini last week and have to say that i was impressed.

i'm kinda stuck between two chains of thought -

Do i want just a misic player - Ipod mini or Iriver H10

or do i want a device with more storage and features -

ipod 20gb - for storage size

or

Iriver h320/340 for storage + 'on the go' capabilities as i do a lot of 5mega pixel photography and could use the iriver hard drive for storage.

Don't want to make the wrong choice as it's a lot of money to throw away.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    In a nutshell:
    H10 = Geek Toy.
    iPod Mini = Music Player.

If you love a full feature set ~ not all of which works properly and working around bugs the H10 is for you. No USB OTG or On-The-Fly playlists by the way. The voice recorder is pretty good and the player looks smart. The colour is nice to start with, and lets face it colour is always nice but it's not used to great effect on the H10. The main purpose of the colour screen, the photo viewing, comes out tiny, over-contrasted and pixelated. The novelty wears off pretty quickly.
    Something inbetween is the Creative Zen Micro. It's nowhere near as good looking (and less pocket friendly) than the above two but it has a lot of features, is much less buggy than the H10 along with a better copy of the iPod's user interface than the H10.
    If you want things just to work in the form of a fairly purist music player, go for the Mini.

If you're looking at the H320, I'd suggest you hang around for the Apple Camera Connector for the iPod Photo to be introduced, and try it out in the Apple Store if you can.

5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I am converted to the shuffle; my old ipod is now just used as a disk drive. The small size, robstness, and lower price does make a difference compared to the slight worry of carrying round a bigger player, and I never was much interested in navigating my music collection which didn't fit on the 20GB ipod anyway. The shuffle just loads a new playlist each time you charge the batteries. And finally, it's always to hand for copying files between PC's as well. And when it's lost/broken you can probably afford to go out and buy another one.

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Bought an iPod Mini about a month ago, after being a devout MiniDisc fan. No going back now - for usability and sound quality, the iPod Mini wins hands down!

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    With the new mini you also get 18hours outta the battery, a big improvement on the 8 of the first model.