Which is Best DivX/XVid player with QPEL, GMC and B Frames support

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ajnabi, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ajnabi

ajnabi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a DVD player which plays DivX/XVid files and support for QPEL, GMC and B Frames, and future proofed for DIVX 6, and of course good pictures quality!!

I have short listed the Poineer DV-575 and the Samsumg HD975. Anyone got any other suggestions, and where to pick up cheepest in UK??

Also, in terms ofpicture quality are QPEL, GMC and B Frames support essential?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do those players support QPEL? I was under the impression support for that option was not common. I'm doubt current machines can be 'future proof' at the moment as AIUI DivX 6 isn't yet cast in stone.

3. ajnabi

ajnabi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that both player sopport QPEL, and GMC, but not sure about B frames. Also, I was reading elsewhere (can't remeber) that the never chipsets (3rd generation DVD/DIVx players can be upgraded via firmware to support DIVX 6, especially if they are already DIVX certified. If my assumptions are wrong, then can someone please epress their opinions. Thanks..... :smashin:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My mistake about QPEL, I've seen a few player descriptions exclude this so tended ro assume it was generally not implemented. As far as firmware upgrading is concerned, I too have read that but unless you can actually buy equipment known to work then I tend to be a little sceptical about upgradeability. ;)

5. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pioneer's 470 is equal to 575 apart from dvd-a and SACD... If you won't use that, it's cheaper and a brilliant machine!

6. tino79

tino79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Yamada DVX 6700, uses Advanced Simple Profile (Q-PEL GMC and B Frames)

7. ajnabi

ajnabi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHat do you mean by Advanced simple profile?
    Is there a difference in the support functions for QPEL, GMC and B Frames?

Thanks........ :)

8. tino79

tino79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically (this is how i understand it) all MPEG-4 comes with SP (Simple Profile) if a DVD player has ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) it gives the DVD player more coding tools, allowing it to support a wider range of bit rates, giving it more processing power, which means that when you download there's more chance of it working right first time and at a quality you'd expect. B Frames, Q-PEL & GMC among other things are all part of ASP. The Yamada 6700 does this. Hope that helps

9. ajnabi

ajnabi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tin079,

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was looking at the Yamada, but is the picture\product quality going to be as good as the Poineer, Samsung, Panasonics, etc.?

Now since the advent of HDMI which the Samsung HD945 supports, doesn't it make sense to buy a DVD/DIVX player which supports the Advanced profile you mentioned, and can upslace it using HDMI.

Do you know if the Samsung (or any other player) has best of both worlds, i.e. Advanced profile combined with HDMI. Their website doesn't really make it clear.

My budget is about £150, any ideas............. :smashin:

I guess I want to have my cake, and eat it!!

10. tino79

tino79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry dude, not sure about how good the makes you mention are, compared with say a Yamada. We only really deal with high spec - low cost stuff which usually means lesser known brands - ASP & HDMI not sure but for £150 you'd hope so