1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is best, Denon 3910 V Marantz 9500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Streetrod, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Streetrod

Streetrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi all, I am new to this site so hope you can give me some advice. Forget the cost, which is the best player, the Denon 3910 or the Marantz 9500. Both of these players have had great reviews in the mags but I have not been able to find someone who could demo both. So I open it to the floor, all comments welcome. I will be connecting the player to an Infocus 7205 projector via HDMI with the sound going out to a combination of Denon electronics and Kef Reference and Q series speakers. Thanks in advance

2. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the marantz dv9500 and this is a superb audio /video player. It handles CD,dvd-a ,sacd and obviously dvd extremely well and best of all it has no issues whatsoever.
    Denon is also a very good player,but not quite as good and probably it is not fair to compare both as the marantz is 50% more expensive than the denon.

If money is no object get the marantz.but denon is still a very competent machine, only that the marantz is slightly better, in almost all departments!!

3. Streetrod

Streetrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for your comments, as both had had good press I wanted to get the best I could afford. But I had also heard that the Denon could suffer from blocking artifacts. I think on reflection I will go with the Marantz, also I might be able to get one for £500 off

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Be aware that although it does not suffer MBB you will have to put up with the chroma issues it suffers, See the secrets benchmark for a list of passes and fails, so it does have some issues. Pic wise probaly no better than an 868i via HDMI. (same chroma issues). I doubt you will see much difference with the 3910 either so i would recommend a demo. the Marantz will sound better if thats a concern. But for out and out pic i think Denon will lead if your display does not show MBB. the Marantz also lacks features, which is about to be addressed by a new model, the 9600 which will be out in a few mths. This adds i-link but can also upscale to 1080p which may be useful when compatable displays arrive.
    You could buy an 868i and something like an iscan HD+ or lumagen scaler and have a far better pic than a stand alone Marantz 9500 for about the same cost. (but your offer equipment will benefit as well)
    Hoping the 9600 sorts out the problems with the 9500 as they are sure beautiful

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...yer&manufacturer=23&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

5. Streetrod

Streetrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Dustin, sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but what are chroma problems and how would I identify them?
    Also thanks for the recommendation about the up and coming Marantz

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Some links, if you check the secrets benchmark you can check which chroma issues the 9500 failed on. then do a google to identify each fault as they are not all quite the same and in the 9500`s case only effect a few films
    (most likly disney stuff)

check here for a start( or do a google search saying `Chroma upsampling error' for a whole buch of info)

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

New marantz will arrive in sept/oct.

7. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Gandly, I would have thought that any reasonable quality video deck would shine if it's output was passed through a quality video scaler like the Lumagen. I had been considering this as my next upgrade/addition. Please let me know if my thinking is wrong. :lease:

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Yes i would say you could well be correct, but its worth getting the best you can afford. Be advised that if you do plan to get a scaler it may be worth waiting for newer models to hit, ones with HDMI as standard. There are rumours lumagen may release a new model soon(ish) that features Realta HQV and HDMI but we will have to wait and see. I wish to get a scaler as well but im waiting for HDMI and some more advanced deinterlacing (Genum, HQv or ??), somthing like the dragonfly but a bit cheaper.

(not that im saying HDMI will give a better pic over component as thats not always the case. but it will make for easier future proofing)

Your denon with an SDI mod would be sweet though

9. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Phew, had me worried for a moment there, I have a definite plan for future upgrades as the money becomes available, however, your comment about the SDI Mod for the Denon sounds interesting, can you give me some info about cost and what exactly gets the treatment if you go for it.

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well your scaler will need to have an sdi input and it costs about £300 for the mod to be done to the dvd player (thats if you dont feel up to the task of fitting it). Basicly the signal is taken direct from the mpeg decoder and sent straight to the deinterlacer/scaler, very much like an interlaced HDMI signal would be.