which is best cheap HD projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Charbax, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Charbax

Charbax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm trying to figure out this cool looking forum, and looking at http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

I am trying to get the money for a cool future-proof projector.. I am for sure going to get the KiSS DP-600 which is a High Resolution (720i) DivX and WMV9 player to be released soon http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=news90&v=users

IO data allready has a HD DivX/WMV player on the market http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2/DVDLA but I really think the KiSS player is going to be the best one, so I am waiting a few weeks or a month or two for the KiSS DP-600. Then within the year maybe upgrade to a 1080i DivX player once the newest chips are ready.

Anyways, would you please tell me if I'm right at thinking about following projectors:

Panasonic PT-AE700 (2000$)
    Sanyo PLV-Z3 (1980$)
    Hitachi PJTX100 (1700$)

using http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/ for price comparison in Germany which is central of Europe good for shipping all over Europe. But maybe would be worth getting cheaper from USA, Hong Kong or Japan or something and risk paying import taxes, if you know a good trick please write..

again so I think it has to be High Resolution, cause I'm just guessing it is going to be one awesome Home Cinema once HD DVDs and the HD video-on-demand comes within the next few months.. It'd be too bad if I'd have to upgrade the projector because of the resolution.

So if I understand it right, DLP is better than LCD projectors (those 3 I have listed are LCD), but DSP for now is much too expensive. Isn't it so.

CeBIT in Germany is up in a couple of weeks, should I wait for that to see if any new cheaper and better projectors are announced? Do you know of some projector which is in the works and worth waiting for?

If other topics answer my question please give me link to them other topics.

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If you can, get a look at something like the ThemeScene H30a or Screenplay 4805 and one of the LCDs you have listed to be sure you know for yourself the DLP vs LCD difference. May be tricky tho as very few places demo the more budget models (we are guilty as charged I'm afraid).

Of those LCDs I would definitely have a TX100 again (but have since gone DLP...), even with extensive use of the Z3 under my belt I still prefer the TX.

3. Charbax

Charbax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you gone DLP to a lower resolution than the TX100 ?

Those Screenplay 4805 and ThemeScene H30a DLP projectors look very interesting but they are not High Resolution like the 1280x720 LCD ones.. those two you have suggested are just 800x600 and 854x480..

Isn't 1280x720 LCD better than 854x480 DLP?

Any good 1280x720 DLP available for cheap yet? Or available soon for cheap?

4. Charbax

Charbax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I find lots of DLP XGA 1024x768 projectors at projectorcentral.com

Is there one DLP HD projector which is really the one to get? I guess HD starts at 1024x768 XGA resolution, though I guess for films 1280x720 WXGA is better..

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    No I've gone for the ThemeScene H77, different budget entirely!! If going for lower budget again I would go DLP though, may not have all the pixels for HDTV but this isn't HDTVs only strength.

In resolution terms yes the LCD is better, however the DLP is far better in contrast and black levels. LCD suffers a grid pattern in-between the pixels, DLP suffers rainbow effect which some see and some don't. This is why I suggest getting a look at at least one low res DLP and one high res LCD so you can see for your own eyes resolution versus contrast. This is not a decision you can make based on spec sheets unless you want to take a risk!

6. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn... after lots of sitting on the fence (just about to get off), I was torn between the TX100 and the AE700... and decided on the AE700 - thinking that it probably has better shadow detail, contrast and have less screen door for the big size I want (2.5m wide screen - the bigger the better for me, this is why I decided against the Z3 - I always found the Z2, which has the same lumens as the Z3 - a bit dim at the image size I preferred).

So now... TX100 again? Decisions, decisions... at this rate I will never buy a projector.

The only worry I have with the TX100 are the reports of bulb dimming and the fan being a bit noisy.

7. ivnikviii

ivnikviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if you had considered the Infocus 5700, saw one in operation for about an hour and it was very very good, lovely clean image and it seemed like the contrast was a lot better than the 1400:1 rating on the spec sheet.
    just a thought. it was 1,650 Euro (I'm assuming that doesn't include VAT) still even with tax I think the sterling cost would be 1380.00 pounds.

8. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The 5700 is a very good machine but is not really comparable to the current H57 which has an immediate edge by using a more up-to-date DLP chip (DarkChip2 stuff). At £1800 inc mount I would prob go the extra for the ThemeScene.

Sorry Monopole! The TX100 does have a slightly more distracting fan than the Z3, not sure louder but the kind of pitch you notice a little more. But on a 2.5m wide screen you are likely to need it's higher light output to keep a strong image together.