Which is Best 32PW9618 or the 32PW9509.....

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ruddocg, Oct 20, 2004.

1. ruddocg

ruddocg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a complete novice as to what makes a good television or not, but have bought as many TV Mags as I can find and have trawled the net.

I have a budget of £700-800 (well wife thinks its much less, but what she don't know won't hurt her!!) and have found the following that I quite like the look of - mainly on the reviews in the mag’s.

Philips 32PW9618 - very good reviews and most people in the AV Forum seem to have positive things to say about it. But from what I understand it is discontinued and was a '03 model and seems hard to get hold of. Have seen this on the Web for £730.

Philips 32PW9509 - again very good reviews, but maybe not as positive from what I can gather. But this is the newer '04 model as so I am think may be better (but what do I know) and have found on the web for a similar price.

I want a good picture over sound at the moment as I am thinking I'll get an Amp and Speaker system in the New Year.

Also I am having some (heated) discussions over the size of the screen - all the mags say go as big as you can, I am erring on the side of 32” whereas my wife seems a bit scared of the size and wants 28”. My seating distance from the screen is approx. 7 & 10 ft.

Any comments and/or advice on the above would be gratefully received.

2. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The 9509 is the best picture I have seen on a TV. I just bought the 36" 9618 and it is awesome. Fantastic picture and sound. I assume the 32" will be equally as good.
    The 9509 just got TV of the year in What Hi-Fi Awards.

3. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm swaying towards the 9509 as well but should I be put off by lack of component?

4. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got a new 32PW9618 and it was one of the last. I don't think you will find a new one of this set available anywhere. The dealers on the internet still showing this set as in stock is just not true. You might find one if you are very lucky, but the price will be around the £1,000 mark or even more.

I suggest you go for the 32PW9509, or get a 14-day Philips returned 32PW9618 from Ebay for around £600 - 700.

The 32PW9509 is in the new 'What HIFI' awards magazine, as the best CRT TV currently available.

5. ruddocg

ruddocg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I actually went for the 9618 in the end and managed to persuade the wife to go the extra mile and went for 32".

I printed out the specs from Philips of both systems and they are pretty identical - the 9618 has more in the sound stakes as it has the extra speakers and the 9509 has Pixel Plus 2, but apart from that looked identical.

I got the 9618 for a steal at £703 inc. stand and del. from http://www.riptonsdirect.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PHI-32PW9618C - 7-10 day delivery time and sourced from the manufacture - so they said so assume its not a grey-import. Not heard of them before but based in Huntingdon and phoned them up and they sounded kosher.

Will let you know when (and if) it arrives.

Thanks for any input you guys have given, appreciated. :thumbsup:

6. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ruddocg

That is a bargain :D
    I paid £789

Hmmm.....I tried two dealers that confirmed Philips are no longer shipping this model, but got mine from dealers stock, but I do hope you get your TV.

Had mine a week now, and the picture and sound are terrific...especially with Freeview. The picture takes some getting used to, as it is so clear. The Michael Palin Himalaya series makes you feel like you can touch the mountains, and looks like 3D. You will notice poor quality digital feeds though, but that's the fault of the broadcaster, and not the TV.

Let us know when you get your TV :D

7. El kiddo

El kiddo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

after no little hesitation I decided to purchase a new 32" CRT and had almost decided on a ZP48, so this Sunday I went to John Lewis in Oxford St to take a closer look, unfortunately the Tosh was nowhere to be seen but I was immediately drawn to the 9509, admittedly the signal was complete rubbish but it still managed to get the best picture from the lot of CRTs, plasmas and LCDs and later read the What Hifi? review. so, what was going to be a straightforward decision got somewhat complicated.
    The only thing is I remember that watching "Apocalypse Now" on the first encarnation of PP on DVD was like an episode of Eastenders . very clear and sharp might be but destroyed all the atmosphere , also the lack of componenets and Prog Scan puts me off a bit.

8. ruddocg

ruddocg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It Arrived today and wow.....

Just set it up - all auto setup and factory defaults and looks brilliant, can't wait till the kids go to bed so I can have a play with it.

The picture is absolutely fantastic and the service from Riptons has been very good - I did chase the order as I had not heard anything on a delivery date but they rang me straight back and told me it what date it would arrive. True to their word it arrived today, the delivery guy actually rang me to make sure I would be in - that's never happened to me before so quite impressed.

Anyway, I'll have a play with the settings as see how I go, let you know..... :thumbsup:

As to the TV connections no component but it DOES have Progresive Scan (or so it seems on the menu's).

9. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ruddocg

Glad to hear you got your TV.

I see the price has gone up now to £765.98 but am surprised they can still get them.

I am still very happy with mine. The picture is FAB :D