Which is a better ebay buy? Denon AVR-1910 or AVR-3805

89JT

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just looking at a couple of amps ending on ebay soon, both should go for a smilier price, but which should I go for?

HDMI connectivity isn't really important for me as i'm happy happy using optical from PS3.

I'd be wanting to listen to music through the system too, though this would be via 3.5mm - phono from iPad.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Given your audio sources then I probably say that the AVR1910 would suffice. Why are you using optical from the PS3? The PS3 can output HD audio via HDMI.

What speakers are you intending to power?

Do you think I'd notice a big difference between HD audio and optical audio?

Ive got big old 350w Eltax at the front a 125w wharfdale centre, and 70w Wharfdales at the rear - hoping to upgrade these in the coming months.

If they go for the same money, would the audio quality of the older 3805 be a lot better than the 1910?

Thanks so much for helping! Been out of the know-zone for a few years!

The older 3805 is better in terms of power and analogue audio. Whether you'd benefit from that power and cleaner signal would really depend on the speakers you partner with it. You'd expect such an amp to be used in conjunction with speakers costing about £2K. If you can do without HDMI then the AVR3805 is the better amp.

Again, the speakers will play a big part determining whether HD would be an improvement.

Seeing as whilst loud, my speakers arn't top end (Eltax Terminator 350, if anyones heard of them!), I guess having suitable punch to drive them is important.

At the moment i'm using an old Technics SU-V560, which to my ears sounds pretty good.

Whilst I intend to watch more BluRays once I have a system set up, I will also be watching a lot of stuff on Netflix (via PS3), where I imagine audio quality is fairly poor regardless of what you amplify it with.

I was also looking at a slightly more expensive, and new Sony STR-DH820 from Richer Sounds - Which is packed with gizmos, however I was slightly concerned by how cheap it is new, gotta be a compromise somewhere, right?

Seeing as whilst loud, my speakers arn't top end (Eltax Terminator 350, if anyones heard of them!), I guess having suitable punch to drive them is important.

At the moment i'm using an old Technics SU-V560, which to my ears sounds pretty good.

Whilst I intend to watch more BluRays once I have a system set up, I will also be watching a lot of stuff on Netflix (via PS3), where I imagine audio quality is fairly poor regardless of what you amplify it with.

I was also looking at a slightly more expensive, and new Sony STR-DH820 from Richer Sounds - Which is packed with gizmos, however I was slightly concerned by how cheap it is new, gotta be a compromise somewhere, right?

The Sony receiver is good for the money, but I'd suggest you increase you budget slightly and look at the DEnon AVR2113 if considering a new receiver. The AVR2113 will be comparable to the AVR1910 you've been looking at, but has many improvements and advanced features not present on the AVR1910. The AVR2113 is probably the best receiver you can get for under £300.

Also consider the AVR1713 which will only set you back £200. This is only a 5.1 receiver and lacks video processing, but a very good option considering it incorporates many of the features found on the AVR2113 including Audyssey's MultEQ XT room correction, Airplay and DLNA networking.

Last edited:
Sadly my budget is already being pushed from the £125 mark, so at the moment I can't really go much higher.

I'm sort of using this amplifier as a tester to see whether its worth saving up for a £400+ bit of kit in a years time or so.

I didn't mention that I like a really good bit of bass in my listening, Would both Denons' be able to provide this?

Sadly my budget is already being pushed from the £125 mark, so at the moment I can't really go much higher.

I'm sort of using this amplifier as a tester to see whether its worth saving up for a £400+ bit of kit in a years time or so.

I didn't mention that I like a really good bit of bass in my listening, Would both Denons' be able to provide this?

Bass is partially dealt with via an active sub fed via an sub pre out from a AV receiver. Bass is also dealt with by the speakers so you'd need speakers with good bass handling abilities. Both the AVR1713 and the AVR2113 have Audyssey's MultEQ XT room correction that EQs the lower frequencies associated with the bass pre output and helps clean the bass output up in accordance with your room's acoustics.

Last edited:
Got a Gale Moviesub 7 for that, not very good in my opinion. But I mean will I still get decent bass levels from the front speakers (as I do at the moment with my old stereo amp)?

Thanks again for helping!

Got a Gale Moviesub 7 for that, not very good in my opinion. But I mean will I still get decent bass levels from the front speakers (as I do at the moment with my old stereo amp)?

Thanks again for helping!

Never heard your amp or set up, but see no reason why the Denons would not be as good as what you've already got.

It should be said that AV receivers never perform as well as similarly priced stereo integrated amps because you are paying for additional processing and extra amplification stages that an AV receiver requires for surround sound. An AV receiver needs to cost 2 to 3 times as much as an integrated stereo amp in order to match its audio performance.

Last edited:
Thats reassuring. Thinking I'll go for the older 3805 if I can. I'll update with what I choose in the end...

A mate of mine had a kenwood component stack system (is that what they're called?) from back in the day and then decided he wanted surround and got a top of the range used Rotel AVR (rrp £1800). He was a bit disappointed with stereo, best i could describe it is the Rotel sounded 'thin' in comparison to his old stereo amp. As such be prepared!

The 1910 I was watching went for £165+20p+p, and I WON the 3805 for £126, which I will be collecting tomorrow. Very happy. Can't wait. Thanks for helping.

I'd recommend the 3805. Have had one for nearly four years and it's audio and overall build quality have been great. Have numerous bits and pieces feeding into it using SPDIF or coax. I don't use the video section at all, prefer to feed HD sources directly into my TV

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom