Question Which integrated amp to power Dynaudio Special 40's?

daquiksta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Finally created an account after reading you a lot as I'm decided to be back with an Hifi system at home.
I got a pair of Special Forty's and need your advise to pick up an integrated amplifier. I want a small system (wife approved) that can be used as a 2.0 (2.1 in the future) to watch Netflix or movies and I have some amps in mind.
  • Naim Uniti Atom : is it powerful enough for my speakers?
  • Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 : same here, does it have enough power? Included room correction seems to be really nice.
  • NAD M10 : not a huge fan of the touchscreen but worth to hear about it.
I had a TDAI-2170 in the past without HDMI and it's lacking streaming capabilities. Will we see a new product from Lyngdorf replacing the TDAI-2170 soon?

Do I have to wait for a second hand Uniti Star/Nova or a TDAI-3400?
Do some of you use the SDA-2400 here? What's you combination?

(Sorry for my English, I'm French and you all know our language skills)

Thanks.

Last edited:
No feedback to power the 40s? What do you use 40s owners?

Should have kept your 2170, it drives Special 40s great! I’m sure the 1120 would do the job just as well as long at your room isn’t huge.

It doesn’t seem like Lyngdorf have any plans to directly replace to 2170 any time soon.

A couple of very happy 1120 Special 40 users on the TDAI 1120 thread

Thanks for your reply, I still have the TDAI-2170 (not sold yet) but without any additional modules making it amplifier only. I tried to have information about adding HDMI module but it's half the price and mandatory visit to Lyngdorf HQ for the amp.

I read on some French forum than the 1120 was a bit light for the 40s. This is why I asked here :)

Bonjour Daquiksta et bienvenu à AV Forums. I have an NAD M10; I leave the touchscreen unlit (until I touch it) and control everything with my iPad via BluOS.

Bonjour Daquiksta et bienvenu à AV Forums. I have an NAD M10; I leave the touchscreen unlit (until I touch it) and control everything with my iPad via BluOS.
Merci !
What about Dirac on your Nad M10, did you use it? I guess NAD M10 has enough power for the Special 40s. I have a tricky room with mostly big windows on one side.

I've had one attempt at Dirac, which wasn't that successful - I lost some of the lowest bass frequencies and I can't find out how to adjust the curve to bring them back. I'm changing the furniture that sits between the speakers and the listening position in the next few months, so I'll try again after that. To be honest, apart from a slight mid-bass spike I'm very happy with the sound as it is.

I've had one attempt at Dirac, which wasn't that successful - I lost some of the lowest bass frequencies and I can't find out how to adjust the curve to bring them back. I'm changing the furniture that sits between the speakers and the listening position in the next few months, so I'll try again after that. To be honest, apart from a slight mid-bass spike I'm very happy with the sound as it is.
It's what I read about Dirac being less efficient than Room Perfect. I guess speakers position and listening spot is the key. Room correction systems should be an additional value.
Do you use any subs with your Special 40s?

No worries, still good to know the NAD M10 works fine. It has lots of power on paper.

If your tv has an optical out you can use that for Netflix into the 2170 (iirc the 2170 has digital inputs as standard), add a Node 2i for streaming and off you go.

I guess I will have to think about it and forget the all integrated.
Do some of you use Chromecast on HDMI port on TDAI-2170 ?
I can still try HDMI module for 600€ :confused:

I guess I will have to think about it and forget the all integrated.
Do some of you use Chromecast on HDMI port on TDAI-2170 ?
I can still try HDMI module for 600€ :confused:
Re Chromecast - yes and it works but it also works plugging it into the TV and using optical to feed the sound back to the 2170.
TBH you can easily live without an HDMI board as the 2170 has enough digital inputs but I certainly couldn't live without RoomPerfect and its simplicity in setting up. Dirac and all of the others sound like hard work compared to RP's auto setup.

The 2170 will drive your Special 40s and if you need streaming why not just buy an external streamer - I use a Teufel Connector connected using optical and it works fine. The Connector is now discontinued but they have a Streamer

Re Chromecast - yes and it works but it also works plugging it into the TV and using optical to feed the sound back to the 2170.
TBH you can easily live without an HDMI board as the 2170 has enough digital inputs but I certainly couldn't live without RoomPerfect and its simplicity in setting up. Dirac and all of the others sound like hard work compared to RP's auto setup.

The 2170 will drive your Special 40s and if you need streaming why not just buy an external streamer - I use a Teufel Connector connected using optical and it works fine. The Connector is now discontinued but they have a Streamer
Great feedback, you can see how bad I am with technical stuff :)
I guess the 2170 is the way to go and combine it with a streamer. I won't have the all-in-one expected by the wife but, I'll save money and buy more time.
Another noob question: can we combine Lyngdorf 2400 pre amp and the 1120?

Dirac and all of the others sound like hard work compared to RP's auto setup.
Dirac can produce excellent results, but it is a great deal more hard work every time.

The Lyngdorf 2400 is a power amp not a preamp. You could but that would take up the two outputs on the 1120 and therefore restrict you adding a sub should you want to later. Stick with your 2170.

My streamer and something like the Bluesound Node 2i are very small streamers, not full audio kit size, so I doubt your wife would notice them and because you control them using an app rather than a remote they can be placed out of sight.

Dirac can produce excellent results, but it is a great deal more hard work every time.
My question about the other room correction systems is how do know when you have got it right? My feeling is that Lyngdorf's engineers are far more experienced than I am at determining what the correct sound should be so happy to leave it to their technology and just get on with listening to music which is the point after all.

The Lyngdorf 2400 is a power amp not a preamp. You could but that would take up the two outputs on the 1120 and therefore restrict you adding a sub should you want to later. Stick with your 2170.

My streamer and something like the Bluesound Node 2i are very small streamers, not full audio kit size, so I doubt your wife would notice them and because you control them using an app rather than a remote they can be placed out of sight.
It was just a thought regarding the 2400, I saw one cheap second hand on a French website. 2170 is definitely a better option. Especially if I want to add a sub to the 40s. Thanks a lot for enlightening me!

My question about the other room correction systems is how do know when you have got it right? My feeling is that Lyngdorf's engineers are far more experienced than I am at determining what the correct sound should be so happy to leave it to their technology and just get on with listening to music which is the point after all.
Well without wishing to sound like the Lyngdorf marketing department, that is precisely the issue with other systems that aim for a predetermined curve and fight the speakers and room to achieve it.

Although I have two very different systems in two very different rooms so can't make a direct comparison, I do prefer the end result with RP. It just has more life and energy, but then the whole system is much better.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that in the other system Dirac has made a positive difference in a very tricky room and the results there are very satisfactory for me.

Well without wishing to sound like the Lyngdorf marketing department, that is precisely the issue with other systems that aim for a predetermined curve and fight the speakers and room to achieve it.

Although I have two very different systems in two very different rooms so can't make a direct comparison, I do prefer the end result with RP. It just has more life and energy, but then the whole system is much better.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that in the other system Dirac has made a positive difference in a very tricky room and the results there are very satisfactory for me.
I saw in your signature that you're running two Lyngdorf subs, can you tell me more about your usage and benefits?
I was thinking about sub in the mid-term as well but more something like Sub6 from Dynaudio (specific preregistered settings for the 40s). I'm curious about the Lyngdorf (you can have two for the price of the Dynaudio).

I saw in your signature that you're running two Lyngdorf subs, can you tell me more about your usage and benefits?
I was thinking about sub in the mid-term as well but more something like Sub6 from Dynaudio (specific preregistered settings for the 40s). I'm curious about the Lyngdorf (you can have two for the price of the Dynaudio).
The lyngdorf subs are great and ideal for using with a pair of stand mount speakers and a lyngdorf amp. One of the big advantages is that the shape enables you to place them against a wall reletively discreetly, and they have been designed to be quite shallow so that the driver is close to the front wall meaning the first reflection is closely aligned to the direct sound. You tell the amp you’re using BW-2s (or BW-3s) and it predetermines the crossover etc (which you are able to change) and you connect the amp to the ’bypass’ input which bypasses all the subs internal filters and controls.

I think they partner perfectly with the S40s on the end of the 2170. There’s just no telling where one ends and the other begins and the bass is really punchy and articulate, but tuneful with it.

Having tried to integrate a mono sub with stereo speakers on a number of occasions (both with and without RoomPerfec), I definitely recommend going for stereo subs if at all possible. When using a single sub, I could never shake the feeling that I could tell that the bass was coming from the sub.

Hello,

Finally created an account after reading you a lot as I'm decided to be back with an Hifi system at home.
I got a pair of Special Forty's and need your advise to pick up an integrated amplifier. I want a small system (wife approved) that can be used as a 2.0 (2.1 in the future) to watch Netflix or movies and I have some amps in mind.
  • Naim Uniti Atom : is it powerful enough for my speakers?
  • Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 : same here, does it have enough power? Included room correction seems to be really nice.
  • NAD M10 : not a huge fan of the touchscreen but worth to hear about it.
I had a TDAI-2170 in the past without HDMI and it's lacking streaming capabilities. Will we see a new product from Lyngdorf replacing the TDAI-2170 soon?

Do I have to wait for a second hand Uniti Star/Nova or a TDAI-3400?
Do some of you use the SDA-2400 here? What's you combination?

(Sorry for my English, I'm French and you all know our language skills)

Thanks.
I have a Marantz Model 30 amp and Model 30n SACD/network player. The amp and Special 40 are a perfect match for me. Also have the Dynaudio Sub 3.

I have a Marantz Model 30 amp and Model 30n SACD/network player. The amp and Special 40 are a perfect match for me. Also have the Dynaudio Sub 3.
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. What's your thought about the Sub 3? Does it have preloaded presets to match the 40s? I know Sub 6 got them. @DT79 seems to have a really good experience with Lyngdorf subs and according to pricing, we can get two for one Dynaudio Sub 6 (I have a TDAI-2170).

Cheers

You don't need the sub to have presets to match your satellites if you have a Lyngdorf. It'll do it for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom