1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which In-ear phones - Sony or Seinnheiser?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GrooveyTunez, Jul 10, 2005.

1. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Thinking of getting some new earphones for my NW-HD5, because i believe the stock phones that come with it, dont do the player justice.

Im looking at either the Sennheiser MX450/500 or Sony MDR-EX71SL, dont really wanna go over £25. They both seem to get good/mixed reviewed, im after good allround sound quality but obviously I like good bass for my dance music.
    Your recommendations are much appreciated.

tia

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both the MX450 and the Sony EX71 and I must say I prefer the Senns for their loudness (due I believe to their low impedence and sensitive drivers) and clarity. However, the Sonys do beat the Senns for isolation and in the bass thud department, but sound too 'muddy' for my tastes...

3. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, think i might go for the sennheisers.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    If the MX450 are anything like the MX400 i had they wont be much good for dance music, bass is just too weak.

To be honest, for not much more than the EX71 you can get the Shure E2C from ebay which will be better than both.

5. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion you should go for the Sony's, they have great isolation and the sound quality is excellent. Furthermore they are very comfortable and come with 3 different sized earbuds, so should fit anyone. They are £25.99 on amazon (free delivery) but maybe they will be cheaper somewhere else.

The E2C's mentioned are about £30 on ebay excluding P&P so is over ure budget of £25

6. GrooveyTunez

GrooveyTunez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm accept that little issue of P&P seems to be another £12-14 on most sellers on ebay, putting them at a total over £45, waaaaay over my budget.

7. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.. so i would say the Sony Fontopia headphones.. they have great reviews and are only slightly over your price range

8. Member 80702

Member 80702
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sony MDR-EX81SL's are now also available at the same price with an over the ear clip for better stability/comfort during exercise. Available in both Black and White.

9. ChunkyMunkyLuva

ChunkyMunkyLuva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that they are the same price, the ones without clips are £25.99 (on amazon) and the ones with the clip are £33.00 (on www.advancedmp3players.co.uk)

these are the cheapest two prices i could find (except ebay of course :rolleyes: )

i have neither so i do not know the quality of both, but the ones without the clips (EX71's) seem to have better reviews

Edit: The ones with the clips (called EX81's) are selling for £18.99 + £10 p&p

10. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jvc Victor have a pair in-ear Gumy phones couple money ago. This Victor JVC HP-FX55 is cheaper than the sony, but the build quality and sound performance are better.

Check this out

11. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but has anyone else got any up to date recomendattions at about the £25 range - looking for ear canal phones specifically.

Thanks

12. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Spend another £6 and get the Sennheisers CX300... it really is worth it from the reviews I've read.

13. bugser

bugser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  14. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Just got mine today too.... only listened briefly admittedly, but I can say that they seem to be vastly better than my JVC HA-FX55's, and they arent even burned in yet.

Main differences? Bass is more defined, mids more prominent, sound less harsh overall, build quality and comfort far superior.