which i7 pc would you buy?

dangerous365

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Managed to get a uk company to do me a deal on an i7 pc. would you go for this or the dell i7 studio xps deal? Didnt really want to spend over £650 but number 1 sounds like a very good deal.

1)
CASE: Apevia X-SniperG Mid-Tower 420W Case (Black Color)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable XXX***
CD: SONY DUAL FORMAT 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: INTEL LGA1366 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio ***Overclockable S&S***
MEMORY: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard)(3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Triple Channel Memory (G.SKILL NQ Series w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX***)
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies [+63] (CoolerMaster Sielnt PRO 700W Modular PSU SLI Ready/ 80 Plus with 135mm FAN)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E x16 512MB DDR5 Video Card
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

£810 (reduced from £960)

or

2) Dell

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366
MOTHERBOARD: Intel X58 +ICH10
MEMORY: 6GB 1066mhz (6x1gb)
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 350 Watts
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E x16 512MB
HDD: Single Hard Drive (700GB SATA-II 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
SOUND: REALTEK 7.1 INTEGRATED
WARRANTY: STANDARD 1 YEAR WARRANTY

£620

Both are excellent prices, 1) has better card, better motherboard, better psu, 2) is cheaper but crap psu and to improve graphics card in the future would need to buy a psu and card.

p.s I dont want to build myself

what would you buy? cheers!

First pc is great for the money! You might have to upgrade the cooler though if you were planning on overclocking.

Hmmm..... Prices are dropping already. :cool:

Option 2 looks good - nearly £200 cheaper than option 1.

A 350w PSU will not power that system.

If Dell knowingly put that in there, then there is something seriously wrong as they know it wont power that system containing a Quad CPU, and ATI 4850.

Saying that if you are comfortable in opening the case, I would buy the second, fleabay the PSU as soon as you get it.

You'll get about £20 for it (I did this exact same thing myself with an HP OEM PC, which had a 250w FSP PSU inside)

And put in your own decent PSU. Something like a Corsair or Be Quiet.

Its not that much of a bargain compared to the first PC, but this is what I would do.

How do you get the Dell to £620?

I have just bought one (delivered yesterday ordered 9th Jan) for £690 (with discount code). Site now showing it at £839.

PSU is rated at 350w and the fan does go loud occasionally.

Ian

Last edited:
Option 1 looks like cyberpower :)

That's where I got mine and would choose it from the 2 systems. You have a better PSU in it and the memory is only using 3 slots rather than all 6 on the board.

Also you get a 3yr warranty as opposed to 1yr

If it is cyberpower they do offer an overclock option for £50 (you'll need to u/g the cpu cooler)

If it has the same ATI card in, you will need a more powerful PSU.

It is the exact same 4850.

Most reviews state that the PSU is fine as long as you do not want to upgrade any components.

Ian

It is the exact same 4850.

Most reviews state that the PSU is fine as long as you do not want to upgrade any components.

Ian

Even ATI state the minimum Recommended PSU wattage for the card is 450w

ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series - System Requirements

You are also pairing this with a quad core CPU.

Putting this into a PSU calculator and the minimalistic setup uses 338w, that is the PSU running at almost 97% load.

That is seriously unsafe, as PSU's are designed at most to run at 80% max load.

I would buy a better PSU.

got the dell down to £120 through business instead of home.

Is this 1st one worth the extra £200??

Thanks for your comments so far.

Someone mentioned overclockable version for an extra £50 (how do i do this?)

Even ATI state the minimum Recommended PSU wattage for the card is 450w

ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series - System Requirements

You are also pairing this with a quad core CPU.

Putting this into a PSU calculator and the minimalistic setup uses 338w, that is the PSU running at almost 97% load.

That is seriously unsafe, as PSU's are designed at most to run at 80% max load.

I would buy a better PSU.

Well I'm sure you know better than Dell.

Well I'm sure you know better than Dell.
Yeah and I am sure AMD who made the Graphics Card just had a deal with 450w PSU makers when they said that is what the minimum recommended wattage the card needed.

You know you try and help some people these days.

Go for the first option and forget about the Dell. Dell also lock off overclocking in the Bios in allot of their builds. I also agree that the psu is way underpowered.

Option 1 has a better psu, longer warranty and better graphics card which IMO makes up the difference in price.

Echoing what others have said...
While the PSU will run the machine it'd be a good idea to get one of 500W+

just to add that i can confirm 300watts will power that dell properly. we have one in the office!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom