• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Homeplug do you recommend?

Ice_Black

Standard Member
Which 500Mbps homeplug do you recommend to stream HD movies from media player.

I would like to buy it from Scan or PC World (in-store).

Devolo Homeplug seem really expensive, I can't afford that.

kingtj

Established Member
I have just got these ZyXEL PLA-4201 500Mbps Mini Powerline Adaptor - Twin Pack | Ebuyer.com

For streaming from my HP N40L. 1 is in a 6 way extension downstairs into router the other is upstairs in its own socket to the server works fine can stream 1080p mkv no problems.

Transfer speed to & from the sever is not great (OK for small files ) but I just run/ran a cable to do this at setup. And shouldn't need to transfer large files again.

And get the same speeds from uTorrent as I was with a cable.

So am very happy with them

DeepDiver

Prominent Member
For streaming from my HP N40L. 1 is in a 6 way extension downstairs into router the other is upstairs in its own socket to the server works fine can stream 1080p mkv no problems.

You should not plug one of these into an extension lead. they should be plugged into the wall socket for best performance.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
You should not plug one of these into an extension lead. they should be plugged into the wall socket for best performance.

To be fair, they normally work fine when plugged into an extension lead, except for when the lead includes surge protection. Kingtj has reported in this thread that he streams 1080p mkv video no problem with one of his homeplugs in an extension lead.

Cheers,

Martin.

braidan

Established Member
There are a lot of variables within your own wiring so don't buy most expensive.
TP will be fine .If budget is tight . probably don't need 500 mbps , 200 does me fine even for HD streams.

noterms

Banned
I had both 200 and 500mb tp link models. Both were fine in streaming from plex media server. Also until I sorted out wiring to my pc I used them for gaming and although pings were a tiny bit higher than direct patch they proved to be great. I got the full 100mbit downstream via my Internet.

Think I paid 29.99 for tp link 500

I have a spare set I can put up for sale if interested?

RayP

Prominent Member

mshunter

Standard Member

RayP

Prominent Member
Solwise FTW! they use the Intel nic just like Delovo and cost about half as much. I use them at home for over a year now. 100% stable. If I remember correctly TP-link use the cheaper arthos nics.

What does FTW mean? :confused:

RayP

Prominent Member
Oh sorry its from GPU adverts/names means: for the win ;)

Oh, okay. Life is full of 3 letter acronyms and sometimes it's difficult to keep up. :(

Anyway, we both agree it's a very good homeplug. :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom