Question Which home printer

p1tse

I'm looking for a home printer, this would probably be most heavy usage by kids printing pictures and templates they find on the internet

What would be useful is Bluetooth i.e. Maybe printing pictures from phone/ iphone; assume it's possible?

I've not owned a home printer for a couple of decades

Wireless would be nice.

I'm not sure on budget as not sure what can be had for £50, £100, £200 etc. And reasons on price difference.

Not even sure on ink type options these days but as it may get heavy text and colour usage I would like to ensure ink does last and replacement don't cost the same as buying a new printer each time!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The way the market works is that cheap printers are subsidised by high ink costs, so the printers that are cheapest to run are most expensive to buy. At least for manufacturer ink catridges. You can get third part cartridges for many models but their usability varies. Some work fine, others require workarounds like replacing all the printer's cartridges together. Generally Brother printers seem to have the least trouble with compatibles.

On the other hand Ink had a finite life so probably don't want to buy something with 7,000 page ink cartridges if you're only printing 20 pages per month.

Mobile phone printing is usually just done via wi-fi (google cloud print for android, airprint for iOS). Bluetooth is less popular.

HP's instant ink scheme is proving popular where you pay a set amount per month and the printer gets new ink cartridges from HP whenever they're needed. It's priced per page rather than on the amount of ink used, so it's better value if you print lots of ink heavy pages like photographs.

Oh, the other thing worth mentioning is that it's generally recommended to leave printers in standby rather than turning them off as they use less ink if they don't need to go through the startup process each time. The power consumption is minimal, often well under 1W.

p1tse

Thanks

So any recommendations?

MajW

Novice Member
Oh, the other thing worth mentioning is that it's generally recommended to leave printers in standby rather than turning them off as they use less ink if they don't need to go through the startup process each time. The power consumption is minimal, often well under 1W.
Thanks for the tip about leaving the printer on standby. That should help make our ink cartridges last a lot longer as the printer often only gets turned on to print a page or two.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom