1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Home Cinema Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by m4rky, Aug 4, 2005.

1. m4rky

m4rky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys hope you can help me choose which speakers to get.

I have a Pioneer DV575A (DVD Player) with the Pioneer VSXC502.
    I use this system to play DVDs and listen to Audio CDs.
    So I'd like a set of speakers that will sound good in movies and make a good job of the music.

So heres the shortlist:
    Mordaunt Short Genie £699
    Mordaunt Short Premier Plus £499
    Kef KHT-2005.2 £499.99

I am currently drawn towards the Kef's but am wondering if the Premiers might sound better for music?

Cheers for you help guys, look forward to the opinions.

2. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can certainly vouch for the MS Genies'. They do a splendid job for DVDs and CDs. I have a separate Hifi system and I find that it compares quite favourably - a different sound, but very pleasant.
    My combination is a Denon DVD2200 + Yamaha 757 Amp. I think the biggest difference will come from the DVD player. I know the Pioneer is highly spoken of for movies, but I don't know how it copes with CDs.
    I also run an older Toshiba DVD player, which still produces excellent pictures and movie sound (via Scart to TV), but sounds awful with a CD.

3. c_fletcher

c_fletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can thoroughly recommend the Kefs, I have had mine for ony 2 days and they are superb, even compared the the old Sony SAVE525 without the sub turned on, which I forgot to do when I first connected them up.... doh!

Whilst they are fantastic for cinema I am not sure they will compare favourably for music listening, suspect a dedicated set of speakers for that will be better which is what I am doing

4. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a definitive technology speaker system for sale in the classifieds. They sound great for music and movies.

Originally cost me just over £3000, I've got them up for £750

A real bargain, you wouldn't be disappointed.