1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which home cinema receiver has the best stereo sound?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by godi32, Aug 25, 2003.

1. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to buy a new home cinema receiver but I expect from this new gemm that it also has a great stereo sound.

Which receiver would you recommend. Which product is the best allrounder in the game at the moment?

Cheers,

Dirk

PS: Budget is app. 600£

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If you want a good stereo amp and you are not after loadsa quizmos..then either a NAD or secondhand arcam avr200..

Matt

3. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matt, but I want to buy one receiver that both has a good stereo and home cinema sound!

Any idea?

4. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arcam AVR 200 is an excellent home cinema reciever that is also excellent at Stereo. I have the AVR 100 and am very very happy with it - The AVR200 is an upgrade with better bass management, and Prologic 2 support. Both amps (100 and 200) support DD 5.1 and DTS. Expect to pay around 800 quid for the 200.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Or get one second hand for 4-500 quid.. I also have the AVR100 as a spare amp.. (don't ask) and have been very impressed with the sound.. I also meant check out the NAD home cinema amps (which are also built on the same platform though different specs -- and cheaper) than the arcam!

Cheers

Matt

6. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that, the Arcam AVR200 is superb in stereo and good in AV . I would have one in an instant, forget the crap that What Hifi churns out they change their minds all the time.

Heard a demo of the Arcam with a music dvd against a Denon 3802? You heard more with the Arcam and tonally it seemed to be more accurate, it wiped the floor with the Denon in Stereo.

Unfortunately you will have to settle on a compromise that is the nature of the beast. I did the same with my HK AVR500 which is good all round but probably not as good as some in either.

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Are you limited to a one box solution - I was so unimpressed by any av amp in stereo that I chose an integrated amp coupled with my Pioneer - best of both worlds and when i upgrade my av amp (soon) I just have to worry about the home cinema performance.

8. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I'm limited to a one box solution (to keep the peace in the house).

I now have a sony str-db825 and I'm satisfied with the stereo sound but not the home cinema sound anymore.

9. musicman

musicman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try the linn movie classic

musicman

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi godi32
    If you want a receiver that sounds as good with music as it does with movies i would go for the nad t752 which you can now get for around 500 quid.The amp has plenty of power (tested to output 92 watts per channel all 5 channels driven) 2x100 watts stereo,It will also drive speakers down to 4ohms easily without cutting out.If you can, try and get a demo you wont be dissapointed it does sound very good.
    Also to give you some idea of the nads insides it weighs 4kg heavier (16kg)than the arcam avr200.
    Gonzo.;)

11. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you are satisified with the stereo sound of your current Sony have you looked at a higher end Sony like the STR-VA555ES ?

(These were available for £600 @ www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk a few months back (showing £700 now though))

12. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another vote for the NAD T752. Best sounding ~<£500 receiver I've heard by miles.

MuFu.

13. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far! I'm tempted by the Nad but it doesn't support a 6.1 setup. Isn't this important for the future?

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi godi32
    The nad t762 has 6 amps built in but you can add a 2 channel intergrated amp to the t752s pre outs as the 752 will configure 7.1 so if you do want to add extra channels you can.Most people are happy though with 5.1 if you def need 6.1 the nad t762 costs around 800 notes.
    Cheers Gonzo.

15. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Who has room (or a wife forgiving enough to allow) for all these extra rear speakers?

That's exactly why I chose a T752 over the T762. Also the fact that in my mid-terrace house I need no more that 80w per channel that the T752 will deliver. And by the way, NAD amps will deliver the rated value and not just in peaks.

I have had quality issue with my T752, but it sounded so good while it was working that I'll forgive NAD for this digression, especially considering the recent UK heat that my receiver's been working in.

Gunrock

16. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the T762, great in stereo and multichannel activities, all the decoding formats (except DTS24/96) plus a massive power supply within. Will tackle speakers a 4 ohms, and 2 ohms at peak current capability.

I have one installed within my current HC setup. NAD had made great improvement within the the current range of home cinema AMPS.

17. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try the Harman Kardon range - the AVR5550 sounds surprisingly good in stereo - just have to see past the aesthetics! To my ears more musical than the Pioneers

18. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    If you don't need the extra speakers (as in 6.1 or 7.1), I'd go for either an Arcam AVR1/200. Have you heard either a NAD or an Arcam in stereo? If not, I'd recommend you get a demo since the sound will be quite different to the Sony you have now. Better in my opinion.

There was an AVR100 going in the classified ads. Has it gone yet?

19. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you watch much TV or Sky/Cable then I would recommend you go for a receiver with Pro Logic II, I would not spend money on another receiver unless it had it, IMO more important than 6.1.

I would have a listen to some of the Marantz receivers, you could get a SR7300 for the money you are talking about or possibly a 5300 and two mono-blocks!!!!

20. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My NAD T762 review,

I started my home cinema bug with a Samsung All in one system. Due to the limitations, I’ve made a big step and changed the brand and setup. The T750 was my first real amp (great AMP at the time), afterwards I’ve upgraded to a T751. The Amplification within this AMp was excellent (for the price paid), but the software and rare connection was extremely limited (no software upgrades were available, and the DSP onboard was at the maximum of its decoding level). So now (about a month ago) I have moved to the next logical step and bought NAD T762. I can say that this amp is a monster type, great flexibility and massive power reserve. As you may know, Nad knows a thing regarding its amplification. I can compare the rare panel to an old switch board with several ins and outs installed at the back (no shortage) and clearly laid out. If multichannel and stereo music is on your short list than you are on the right track with this AV AMP.

As regards to the Decoding the NAD covers all major formats, that you will find on an amp at this price, except for DTS24/96. (no upgrades intended by NAD for this music format)

My current AV AMP is connected to a 5.1 setup, Kef 4 ohms Speaker (KEF THX TDM Series). The sound is sweet and warm in stereo music ( the more I hear this AMP, the more I want to listen to stereo music, plus no prob to drive these speakers at reference level for long listening periods). As regards to films, Signals from the DVD are immediately locked on. The processing is quite fast (Based on the Crystal DSP CS49320x) and clear and paning from speaker to speaker is done with great ease. Before buying this beast I have auditioned several other AMPs , which are the Pioneer 2011 and a Harman Kardon, but finally I have choosen the NAD (both set correctly). As regards to construction the NAD is built like a tank and weighs a ton due to the massive High Current Holmgren Toroidal Power Transformer installed within (a rarity at this price range).

A set of binding post for second room connectivity is installed on this amp, plus an rs232 port for Advanced Remote controls. The software within is quite flexible and very easy to operate. The only quirk is that software upgrades cannot be done from the RS232 port and a chip within must be replaced by an authorised dealer not to validate any warranties. The latest software version is 1.22. Mine is installed with 1.18 and cater for all major bugs, only cosmetics are tackled from 1.18 upwards. (so check your AV anps software before buying)

As from my part I think that I have made a great choice! But as always, the best thing to do is get a demostration and let your ears do the job for you!!

Definetly an AMP to audition!
    Current Setup
    Cd PLayer NAD C540, DVD Player NAD T531, Other DVD player Samsung DVD 907, Game source Play Station 2, TV Philips 32 Pw8717 TV.
    Speakers Kef TDM THX 4ohms 5.1 Setup (2 SuBs)

;)

21. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just found out both of the NAD’s support PLII, does anyone know if the amp gain is the same as the their power amp’s for bi-amplification?

22. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    brox i have to agree with you 3802vs arcam 2000 for sterio.

i originally had yam ax592 integrated driving fronts with yam a5 doing center +surrounds.

i wanted a one box solution so went for 3802 ,the arcam 2000 was not released when i purchased 3802, so pl2+7 channels seemed to be benificial over old set up, have no complaints with 3802 vs old set up with av use, although i would not really say its chalk and cheese re 5 channel between the 2 pl2 is a real bonus though.

i did at a later date out of curiosity hear 3802 vs arcam 2000 in sterio ,the arcam was used with a £1000 dvd player and was considerably better in 2 channel, cannot say about its av side.

i have not heard any of the later kit sony/nad/pioneer etc but would suggest that anyone considering new purchase of av amp takes the trouble to demo a range of av amps for sterio and av use rather than be unhappy with a "hasty" purchase.

23. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice is go for the pioneer 2011. Excellent AV and stereo.

If you find the stereo is not good enough (but for most people I guess this would be unlikely), then add a stereo amp. Sometimes a war is unavoidable]. I think for one box options it is important to get the best AV possible (within budget). It is easier to improve the stereo performance later (if needed) by buying a dedicated stereo amp than trying to improve AV.

I hope this helps

24. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about space and cost, better hit the target once?

25. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi,

Check out a s/h Denon A10SE (there are a couple for sale in the classifieds at the moment). Fantastic movie sound and excellent in stereo, with all the power that you need, fully upgradeable to 7.1, THX ultra certified etc.

Joust

26. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pwiles:...

Gain is the same 29db, but input impedance is not.
    Going to get round to bi amping with a C370 (Used as a C270) and the T752 front channels for mid/HF.
    I do not want to bother with 6 or 7.1 as music with bi-amped speakers is more of a priority for me.

:D

Should sound sweet

27. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok another one on the upgrade list, Still fancy a PS-17 and pair of MA24's (30W Class A Mono-blocks) with my MA6100's if the PS-17 ever comes down to reasonable money, Oh and I can find some 24's Second Hand. Or do I wait for the new Arcam and Bi amp that, Decisions Decisions. Well cant afford any of the above at the moment so have to keep dreaming.