Which Hitachi...?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Bandittto, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Bandittto

Bandittto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst the question is undoubtably answered elewhere in these forums (albeit sporadically) can someone concisely articulate the difference between the following Hitachi models:

42PD400e
    42PD500e
    42PD3000
    42PD5000
    42PD5100
    42PD5200

I simply want a wall slung silver (WAF) 42" plasma to view sky+ and DVD....and believe (from reading these forums) that Hitachi are a good choice.

2. Kraken

Kraken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well only the 42PD400e, 500e and 3000 are silver, but you'll be hard pressed to find any except the 500e anymore (as they're now old stock).

The 500e is functionally equivalent to the 5000 series (the 5100 I think) anyway, so if you must have silver it's your only Hitachi choice.

The 5000 series is a dark grey colour with a clear perspex surround which makes it look glossy grey. It's a fairly attractive set. The three models you mention are :

42PD5000 - monitor only, no input board, only VGA and DVI inputs.
    42PD5100 - as the 42PD5000 above, but supplied with a video input card (one RGB SCART, two component phono, composite and s-video in)
    42PD5200 - as the 42PD5000 above, but supplied with a tuner card (the same specs as the 5100 video card but with an analogue tuner and teletext), and speakers.

You'll get different opinions on the board as to whether Hitachi are a good plasma manufacturer.

My own experience is that I've now been through three Hitachi plasmas, and all had dead or stuck pixels. I'm expecting a fourth tomorrow in exchange, and if this has any pixel problems I'm getting the cash back and buying something else.

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned my Hitachi 42pd3000 because I had issues with the quality of the picture. I'm not saying all Hitachi's are bad, indeed mine had many good points, but I would look your screen over carefully when it arrives.

4. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there .the pd 5000 DOES have an input board with scart.composite.s video and component inputs,as well as vga and dvi inputs.it is also a superb buy

5. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 500E and can confirm that as well as it being crammed with every connector under the sun it is a superb picture. In a silver frame and to top it off no fan.
    Couldn't be happy, got it next day from NexNix at £2.5K.

6. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I second Pioneer's comment, absolutely over the moon with my 500E..........

Best regards David

7. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Galaxy

I read a post of yours on another thead regarding auto screen aspect switching, I am thinking of buying the 5100, do you know if the connections are the same and if this still applies?

8. Kraken

Kraken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it does as supplied by Hitachi.

I think people like Richer's are just supplying the 5000 with the input board from the 5100, in effect selling you an 5100 but calling it a 5000.

The 5100 is sold with the input board pre-fitted if I understand correctly, whereas (certainly from Richer Sounds) it comes seperate in the 42PD5000 box and has to be fitted yourself.

I'd be very wary of expecting a 42PD5000 to be supplied with the video board as standard, unless it is specifically mentioned. There is no mention of it at all www.discountaudiovision.co.uk for instance.