1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which high end amplifier?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by figlio, May 16, 2004.

1. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am interesting to buy an amplifier.I am looking to Yamaha AZ9,Pioneer AX10Ai-s and the Denon A1SRA.Maybe I wait a little more for the Onkyo TX-NR1000.I know that all these amplifiers are very good but I think that the Yamaha have somethink more special than the others. The Farroudja Scaler build in for me is very useful using alot satelite tv. What do you think about the sound between these amps.If you where going to part with the money what amp do you buy?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello figlio,
    I have had a Yamaha DSP-Z9 for just over a week now and it is an absolutely stunning peice of kit the surround sound is the best i have heard compared to the the other 2(pioneer & Denon),that was enough to convince me to part with my money,but there's a bonus you also get video upscaleing, i have put SKY thru it and it cleans up the image very well and the resolution is at 1080i, i have also put Gamecube & Xbox thru at 1080i & looks the buisness :cool:
    I only have 1 component cable that goes to my plasma now so it has also made things very neat behind equipment :clap:
    I would demo one if you can :smashin:

Jon

3. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How did you find the remote of the Yamaha.It seems not very good compared to the others

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Yes the bigger remote is purely functional but not very pleaseing to look at,but the main remote which is the smaller one is so easy to use and thru the GUI on screen all controls are done via the smaller remote,it works like a point and click which i have found nice to use :thumbsup:

Jon

5. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of the current mags review the Yamaha Z9, and comparable Pioneer, Denon, Sony and Marantz receivers.

From memory, one goes for the Yamaha, one for the Sony digital (not backed by other reviews on the grounds of its distinctive sound quality) and the Pioneer has fans.

See also http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/bolidencheck.shtml You may need a translator such as the free IBM one if, like me, your German isn't up to it.

I would endorse the comments about the Z9 above, but have not listened to the others to any great depth.