Which Hi Res headphones for Sony NW-A45

DJM1976

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using my Sony NW-A45 quite a bit recently and today I copied over a DSD of Nirvana’s “Nevermind” and have to say that I am impressed with the quality when compared to sone of my lower bitrate files on the player. However I can’t help but feel that I can make it sound even better with spending some money on better headphones. At the moment I am using either a cheap £20 Sony in ear phones which are not certified Hi Res, or AirPod Pros and the less said about those the better.

Anyhow I am now looking to get some better phones on ear / over ear etc either Bluetooth with multipoint or with optional use of cable for increased quality, or ones that are wired with no Bluetooth capabilities but are certified Hi Res. if I become obsessed with Hi Res music, then I may well get another player with DAC in the future such as Fiio or Hiby, but for now I am happy with the Sony NW-A45.

I know that headphones don’t come cheap, but say a budget of £300 if there are any recommendations for that price.

Many thanks

Congratulations on your 45. I have this model myself. They are very easy on phones.
. The following .. The Sennhesisser earbuds of CX5 or Sennheisser momentum in ears are excellent for them....I have also used the momentum on ears to great effect. . I have basically given up on in ears due to ear wax, irritation and my preference is for the over ears types. The better Sonys like the MDR1 are both defined Hi Res and comfortable , relaxing sound... I use them every day.
What you might not realise is that there are plug in ear buds from Sony with noise cancellation built in for this player . It has the model number iNW750 ,. There is also another model NW5000 , but I understand not as good. ..They have a very complicated jack plug, which includes the noise cancelling microphones and it plugs directly into your socket. Then the player picks up additional electronics, which is already inside the player and enables a very effective noise cancelling system These came with an earlier player I used, and I used them with great satisfaction until the cable got iffy.
I also use the 1000M3 Sony phones , but really the sound is no better than the MDR1 ..and they are within your budget. .

Upvote 0
Congratulations on your 45. I have this model myself. They are very easy on phones.
. The following .. The Sennhesisser earbuds of CX5 or Sennheisser momentum in ears are excellent for them....I have also used the momentum on ears to great effect. . I have basically given up on in ears due to ear wax, irritation and my preference is for the over ears types. The better Sonys like the MDR1 are both defined Hi Res and comfortable , relaxing sound... I use them every day.
What you might not realise is that there are plug in ear buds from Sony with noise cancellation built in for this player . It has the model number iNW750 ,. There is also another model NW5000 , but I understand not as good. ..They have a very complicated jack plug, which includes the noise cancelling microphones and it plugs directly into your socket. Then the player picks up additional electronics, which is already inside the player and enables a very effective noise cancelling system These came with an earlier player I used, and I used them with great satisfaction until the cable got iffy.
I also use the 1000M3 Sony phones , but really the sound is no better than the MDR1 ..and they are within your budget. .
Thank you, in all honesty I have had the player for over a year now, but since using my phone for music, I have barely touched the Sony what with travel restrictions etc. However I recently bought the Sony Hi Res Turntable and have been archiving my Vinyls to DSD, so have been really enjoying the difference in sound quality. Thank you for your recommendation, I will take a look.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have been using my Sony NW-A45 quite a bit recently and today I copied over a DSD of Nirvana’s “Nevermind” and have to say that I am impressed with the quality when compared to sone of my lower bitrate files on the player. However I can’t help but feel that I can make it sound even better with spending some money on better headphones. At the moment I am using either a cheap £20 Sony in ear phones which are not certified Hi Res, or AirPod Pros and the less said about those the better.

Anyhow I am now looking to get some better phones on ear / over ear etc either Bluetooth with multipoint or with optional use of cable for increased quality, or ones that are wired with no Bluetooth capabilities but are certified Hi Res. if I become obsessed with Hi Res music, then I may well get another player with DAC in the future such as Fiio or Hiby, but for now I am happy with the Sony NW-A45.

I know that headphones don’t come cheap, but say a budget of £300 if there are any recommendations for that price.

Many thanks
Hi everybody. I hope you can help me and I hope again I am posting in the right section. I have the Sony NW-A45 and a set of Philips high-def X2 headphones which work Ok plugged straight into the walkman but for me it is just not loud enough. Do I need a headphone amp of some sort and If yes, can anyone suggest a good match?......I would say my budget is up to £150. PS> I can't stand MP3 for very long periods it gives me a hell of a headache. I shall say thanks in advance and hope one of you out there can help me out as I am not literate in these small gadgets. Cheers, Simon.

Upvote 0
Make sure the volume limit is removed in the settings

If you are using an EU model, due to EU law there is a separate volume cap removing high gain

See the volume cap removal tool

Obligatory at your own risk disclaimer applies, but I have never read about anyone bricking their Sony Walkman through this

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom