Which headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by le hutch, Dec 18, 2001.

1. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after some headphones so I can listen to music without disturbing my better half. The source would be an Arcam DV88 and I would obviously need closed type.

I have seen that Richer Sounds have got a few good deals on Seinhauser's. Are they the best around?

I really dont want to spend more than £50 unless its worth spending the extra.

Any recommendations?

Ta!

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    If you can stretch to 80 quid, you´ll pick up some Sennheiser HD580´s, bloody fantastic headphones and a bargain considering they used to be over 200 quid!

Richer Sounds did have them on offer a while ago.

Only thing is they are not completely closed so other people will hear your music as well:(

cheers

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i`d recommend a pair of grado headphones they start at 80 an move up in 20 pound steps.i have a pair of sennheisers myself but i was ****ed of when i heard the difference between the £80 sennheisers an the 80£ grado`s.the grado for me everytime if you cant manage 80 quid you might wanna look at www.empiredirect.co.uk they have cheap sennheisers.good luck :D

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went for the Senheisser HD600 - £99 from Richer Sounds (retail £250 ish). Absolutely stunning - you can hear every detail but it's not at all bright.

Can't recommend them highly enough at that price.

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the Sony MDREX70LP at www.sony.co.uk, they are and in-ear 'walkman' style earphone with a silicon rubber seal to stop the sound leaking out and distracting people around you. They cost about £35 and produce a very good sound, I now use them in preference to my Sennheiser HD 475 which were about £80 a couple of years ago and 'still' better than most of the rubbish Sennheiser churn out today.

For people that are sceptical about in-ear 'phones check this out http://www.epinions.com/elec_Audio-Headphones-EBrand-ER-ER-4S

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Go to Richer Sounds and get the Senheissers on offer. The 580 was originally about priced at £180 - £200ish and can be got for £60. If you can stretch to the 600 (see my recent post in special offers) then they were originally £250 but are currently at £100, the best non-electrostatic headphone I have heard.

I am a great fan of the Grado headphones but you really need to be looking at the 225 and 325 (and 425?) to find comparable headphones rather than the 60s, which are pitched at these prices. Can’t comment on the in ear things.