Which head-cam would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by gkgarret, Jul 7, 2015.

1. gkgarret

gkgarret
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a full 1080 HD Headcam which works well at night-time, primarily going to be used for night cycling and driving. My current budget is £100 but willing to wait and save if I need to.

2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I think the lack of response is because most of us avoid wandering around at night with a camera stuck on our heads.:(
    My suggestion is that you look on, say, Amazon and read the comments made by other users. Perhaps one camera may be better than others.
    My preference is for Panasonic. Their HX-A500E is expensive and 4K but will work down to 1 lux and their new HX-A500E will work to 6 lux but is advertised as suitable for night use using what they call "glasscover".

It really depends on your definition of night light. Most cameras will produce a picture if given enough light reflecting off the subject. In other words even if you brightly light up a road only the near field, say 6'-10' will reflect enough light to record. The distance will be black except for any points of light that may be in the camera's view. The camera will see what your eyes see - that is nothing beyond the range of your lighting. The other "down" is that cameras use video amplifiers to boost the light level, these amps also generate "noise" or speckling on the picture so reducing quality.

Have you considered night goggles with a camera built in? These tend to be Infra Red sensitive but may do what you want better than a camcorder or action cam. Other cameras are the wildlife cameras which will record in IR when a trigger is activated by animal movement.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  3. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,654