Which HDR/DVDR?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dubbing Mixer, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Time to get into the 21st century.

VHS inadequate. Anybody with experience of the latest HDR/DVD recorders would be most welcome. I'm only interested in recording terrestrial broadcasts, camera output (firewire) and composite. I'm bored with trying to make HTPCs do the job and I'm looking for a stand alone box.

Please let me know your experiences.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    If you don't want to go down the PC editting route then the best option by a long, long way is the HDD/DVDR combo. Take a look at the Panasonic E100, Panasonic HS2 or Pioneer 5100. There have been several threads comparing them lately - bottom line they are all top end machines although make sure you know your requirements before buying!

If you are happy to go down the PC editting route then a HDD combo isn't essential but look for a machine that uses the 'official' DVD recording format (VRO) which enables precise edits etc and has Flexible Record (or similar). Such machines (given your requirement for iLink) are the Panasonic E60, Pioneer 3100 and JVC DMR1. Again these have been discussed in recent threads.

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Rasczak,

I realise I was being lazy with this thread.

I was hoping to get a quick idea of what's hot and what's not without trawling through hundreds of other posts.
    I'm quite happy with my PC Video editing set-up! It's the attempt to use a PC as a VCR replacement I'm finding unwieldy.

I'll go have a look at the threads on the machines you suggest.