1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which hdmi to dvi cable??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chris210972, Jan 18, 2005.

1. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,

i have just ordered a hitachi 37pd5200 plasma with dvi socket and a Panasonic DVDS97EBS
    with a hdmi socket.

i've been looking at maplins and they sell 2 x cables, but i'm not sure which one i need.

can u confirm that i will also need to buy a cable for the sound (assuming that sound is only carried hdmi - hdmi not hdmi - dvi)

HDMI to DVI-D Cables

• Digital Audio & Video
    • Compatible First cables which offer possibility to transfer both digital Audio & Video signals
    • 24K Gold-Plated Contacts
    • Always perfect sound & picture signal without any data loss
    • Triple shielded high-resolution cable For no interference from other electric devices which can result into data loss and poor picture quality

For connecting a HDMI device like a DVD or PC to a beamer, Plasma TV, or LCD monitor. HDMI A - DVI 24 + 1 dual link, connector with 24K Gold plated contacts and tinplated 360°; aluminium foil shielding. Available in the following lengths Order Code A04BW HDMI A-DVI M 2m Order Code A05BW HDMI A-DVI M 3m Order Code A06BW HDMI A-DVI M 5m

HDMI-DVI Cables

• Connect a DVI-D display to a source with HDMI display output
    • Works with a digital display
    • Compatible with single link connections
    • This adapter will support HDCP

These cables allow you to connect a DVI-D display to a source with HDMI display output or an HDMI display to a source with DVI-D display output. Available in the following lengths: A50BY HDMI-DVI 2m A51BY HDMI-DVI 3m A52BY HDMI-DVI 5m

2. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it's got the right plugs on the end it will do the job. Not that familiar with the Panasonic DVD, you are restricted on resolutions and timings the Hitachi will accept on it's DVI port, you may find this is not what you want to do. It has a marked preference for 60Hz signals, except 1080i, which it clips 5% off the picture all the way round. No 576 or 720 signals at 50Hz, leaving 1080i as the only one you can use with PAL discs.

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    you can also use 720p with PAL discs.
    NTSC discs running at 1080i do clip a tiny strip off the left hand side, but this is sorted out by changing to the 720p which is very comparable.

I ordered the cable (2metre) from keeneelectronics.co.uk and it was £29.99 + £4.50 for next day delivery. It was the only HDMI-DVID cable available I could see. They also had an adaptor for about £10 which can go on one of the ends of the supplied HDMI-HDMI cable you will get with the dvd player, but this looked cheap (as the supplied cables usually are poor).

The lead I got does a great job, but I'm sure there are better quality out there with higher specs if you can afford them. I will look again in a couple of months when I can maybe afford it.

5. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the picture quality like at 720 ?

6. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as I can tell there really is no difference between 720p and 1080i.
    Maybe to a better trained eye, but really both are astounding in quality.

maybe someone with more knowledge can explain if there is.

I hooked up the component for comparisons and the HiDef on 720 and 1080 is miles better on my screen.