1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which HDMI receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fez, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Fez

Fez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to upgrade my receiver and am currently undecided between the Yamaha, Denon 3806 or Pioneer AX4AVi. I know they all offer HDMI switching but do they all offer upconversion to HDMI or just from component to HDMI or none at all. Also would I need to connect component out and HDMI out or will component signals work through an HDMI cable. Confused!!
    Also do I need to worry about firewire cable or will the HDMI 1.1 version take care of all the sound and video from my Pioneer 989 dvd player (not yet bought but will do so soon).

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You will need HDMI 1.2 to carry SACD as SACD to the receiver and not as PCM, as I assume that the receiver will do a better job of de-coding than the player. (I believe).

HDMI can carry analogue or digital video signals.

3. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Good question: looking at the same Denon, Pioneer or yamaha?

4. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the use of HDMI switching ? Have seen it on several receivers and can't see the pros/cons of it. Could anyone explain what this option is?

Jeffrey

5. goatlips

goatlips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes you will need the I link/firewire cable,sounds better and HDMI only carrys stereo to your tv not multi channel audio to the amp.

6. Fez

Fez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluecupra, if you only have one hdmi input on your tv (as I do) and you have more than 1 hdmi device e.g dvd, sky (next june?), playstation 3, then switching will be necessary.
    If I still need firewire to play sacd then that rules out the Denon 3806 unless I change my choice of dvd player and go for a denon 3910, using denon link.oh god it's getting more confusing.
    Maybe I should stick to a Pioneer set up, I have the plasma already so perhaps the AX4AVi and the 989 DVD would finish it off nicely. Just not sure about the upconversion!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Just out of interest do any of the three receivers mentioned offer HDMI downscaling? i.e. they recieve a High Def signal - either 720p or 1080i - and downscale to Standard Def?

8. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your input.

In short the HDMI option on a receiver gives you more HDMI connection options then the ONE HDMI i have got now? So i can attach my DVD player to an HDMI switching receiver and hook that up with my screen? What will happen with the upscaling of the DVD player when i choose for this option?

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    No it can't. HDMI is digital only.

You don't mention your budget but a Meridian G91 plus optional HDMax will probably do exactly what you require. A few of these units are becoming available on the second hand market. The G98 is basically a very high quality CD, DVD, DVD-A player with HDMI/component/s-video and composite out. It will upscale/deinterlace over the HDMI output the internal DVD/DVD-A or external video component/s-video and composite sources. It cannot however output HD component or progressive input via HDMI. The G91 also takes in external analogue and digital audio. It can be configured either as a multi channel surround processor or a stereo pre amp. When used with Meridian digital speakers, it already handles 96/24 digital output. Analogue output is up to 192/24. The HDMax is a 4 into 1 HDMI switch controlled by the G91.

Meridian G91 details
    Meridian HDMax details
    Unofficial Meridian User Group

10. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 3806 will do up and down conversion - except of hdmi signals.

11. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If HDMI and DVI are pin cimpatible and DVI-A is used to carry analogue video then isn't HDMI capable of carrying analogue as well?

12. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    HDMI is compatible with DVI-D only.

13. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Ahhhhhh that explains it then!!

Thks for explaining!!

14. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not true :lesson: HDMI 1.1 can carry all DD / DTS streams plus DVD-A to your amp.

15. Mausse

Mausse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: IMHO i assume that the yamaha rx-v2600 is the has the best sound vs videoquality ratio. It can upscale al signals to 1080i hdmi v1.1. A yamaha spokeswoman told me that 2600 model is outclassing his big brother rx-v4600 on video and soundamp is identical......so go figure ;-)

Hope it will be available in holland soon! I hope it will sound nice on my B&W MT-30 speakers and philips 37pf9830...both in order.....maybe before x-mas :eek: :eek:

16. Fez

Fez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on a sec. When I was looking at yamaha for receiver i had only considered the 4600, I can't find a 2600 anywhere and certainly not one that will do HDMI switching. is there such a model??
    Can anyone still tell me whether the Pioneer will upscale to HDMI? Can HDMI carry a component and/or s-video picture? If so and it can't upscale to HDMI will it say for example upscale an s-video to component and still go through th eHDMI cable?
    Finally, am I getting excited about nothing i.e ae these upscaling functions really worthwhile or just a slight enhancement. I would hve though a dedicated scaler woudl still do a better job. Right???

17. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I think we should agree terms here to save confusion

Upscale - Change incoming signal from 480i, 525i to a higher resolution eg 720p, 1080i

Upconvert - Convert incoming signal cable type to another (theoretically better) outgoing cable type (may require analogue to digital conversion along the way) eg: Svideo in to HDMI out.

Therefore do you need a receiver to upscale or upconvert or both??
    And what type of scaling and converting do you need?

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The 2600 will converts analouge to digital, i.e. component -> s-vid -> component -> HDMI and also scale up to 1080i (i beleive) on both HDMI and component.

Its not out yet so thats why yamaha don't put anything on there website yet, i believe avland have the specs on their website and there has already been quite a bit said about this model on this forum if you do a search.

19. usagi13

usagi13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  20. Fez

Fez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re upscale and upconvert, ideally I want both. Upscaling to improve my picture from satellite (I live in Malaysia and the picture from Malaysia's version of Sky is crap and highest quality is S-vid) and upconvert so I only have to have one cable from receiver to plasma.
    Hadn't seen the 2600 previously, it seems like it has the lot. The 4600 has only just become available here so maybe I'll have to wait some time for the 2600. Will the Denon 3806 or 4306 have both upscaling and upconversion?

21. lewi

lewi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Avland have to 2600 for sale at £899.00 but it has to be personally collected. No websale delivery I'm afraid. but it does look a cracker!

22. .borg

.borg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to butt in here :hiya: , but I also have been looking at the Yamaha4600/marantz8500 and new onkyo903 for HDMI switching, converting and upscaling.

The manual of the yamaha states that only hdmi in can be sent to the hdmi out jacks - this means that only digital inputs will be output digitally. So this unit does not do any digital to analogue video coverting or vise versa. You will need two cables (hdmi & component) to your display panel, because digital stays digital and analogue stays analogue.

Here you can link to the yamaha manual online then go to page 100. There is a diagram which explains this more clearly. :(
    http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/owner_manuals/RX-V4600.pdf

I am still trying to find out if this is also the case with the marantz or onkyo. If so, then my trusty yamaha rxv1000 stays and it will be a lumagen Visionhdp scaler for fathers day next year! :D

hope this helps you in your quests. :smashin:

just found the onkyo and its the same as the yahama no analogue to digital video output :( http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/89348/TX-SR803703_En.pdf see page 37

23. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Remember the 2600 will do a->d video conversion and also scaling...