Which HDMI Matrix?

SaajanB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking for a HDMI Matrix for an upcoming project for a friend. He has 6 remote displays (all got CAT6 running to them but currently using old sky link RF system. The runs are over 40m) and 2 local (Panasonic Plasma and projector). All the remote displays are being replaced with 4K sets apart from the 6th which is a 720p bathroom televison (if this can't be scaled then using the old rf system will suffice). The local displays are both 1080p and not in need of replacing (very nice last gen plasma and projector).
In terms of audio only the local displays are wired up for 5.1 (in the same room) so no need for complicated audio setups
Control of the matrix is fine by either IR or means of a control app (not essential).
4K compatibilty is a must although the source equipment won't be swapped out for a while (Sky+HD, BluRay player, and Apple TV)
LAN over HDBaseT is also essential as there is only 1 CAT 6 cable running to the televisions.
I've been looking at different matrix solutions and am now stuck between HDAnywhere and CYP. I've come across CYP equipment before and it has a very high quality feel and reliable functionality. The HDAnywhere equipement is new to me but it has a better feature set (can get scaling receivers and control app.)
I'm looking at models:
MHUB PRO 8x8
CYP PUV-662-4k22
I'm also wondering, the CYP matrix says it can have 4 sets of EDID settings, would this negate the need for scaling receivers? i.e. have a 4K set, 1080p set and 720p set? So in theory could I feed the matrix a 4K source like Sky Q and not need any scalers for the 1080p and 720p displays?
For the HDanywhere matrix I could use either the mirrored HDMI outputs or if needed purchase the 1080p scaler receivers.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks
Saajan

First question has to be 'Is centralised sources plus a Matrix the best option?' - for many customers the Answer to that question is now No!

A combination of SKY Q and streaming Apps on Smart TV's often makes far more sense.

If the Client does prefer to stick with a Matrix then not having the same Video and Audio capabilities in all Zones does present you an issue (you can't do 'simple audio' when you have 5.1 in one Zone and Stereo audio in other Zones).

EDID management is not the same as Video or Audio Conversion - the Source can only put out one Audio/Video stream via HDMI at any time so if you expect to be able to view simultaneously on multiple Displays, with differing capabilities, the Source would have to be set to match the least capable Display or you have to add in Video/Audio conversion.

Joe

Hi Joe,
The client still wants to stay with the matrix option,
In terms of the audio I'm feeding the optical/spidf out from the sources into the local av receiver, so the HDMI will be still outputing stereo.
Regarding the different resolutions of the screens, I'll continue to feed the bathroom TV via RF and set the system to run at 1080p, considering there are no 4k sources as of yet, (4k blu ray is expensive, sky Q is a joke, netlfix 4k and amazon prime 4k are much better and is built into most smart TVs)
Which matrix system do you think I should go for, CYP or HDAnywhere?

Thanks,
Saajan

'4k blu ray is expensive, sky Q is a joke, netlfix 4k and amazon prime 4k are much better and is built into most smart TVs' - so why the need for a Matrix?

Joe

Friend does not want Sky/Blu Ray players to be visible, if it was me I'd be putting a 1080p matrix solution in and calling it done but I'd rather just prep it for 4K as the TV's are about 10 years old now and are getting replaced.

Saajan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom