Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which HDMI DVD player for Sony HS50?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Blindman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can any one help?
    We are expecting delivery of a Sony HS50 projector and need a DVD player, with HDMI output to go with it. Does anyone have any experience of a Denon 3910, 2910,Arcam DV79 or Pioneer 868 with a projector? Is the price difference between the 3919 and 2910 worth it?

Also, as a general question - if you use HDMI to pass a digital signal, what part does the DVD player have in determining the quality of the signal i.e. would all DVD players pass the same digital data taken from the disk, or do they process it in some way first?

Any help would be great,
    thanks

2. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    If I was you mate I would really try the component cables first before lobbing loads of money at a HDMI enabled player and cable. I had a demo of the HDMI from a Pioneer 868 into a HS50 and then back to component and myself and MattG at NexNix could not see a difference that was worth £500-£800.

We both agreed that progressive scan looked outstanding and indeed it does. Now I am not sure if HDMI is better then VGA (assume it would be someone help me out here) but I would imagine you may be throwing good money after a 10-15% increase in pic quality (if you can see the diff).

I would recommend a home demo of a Pioneer HDMI player before spending serious money when you get your PJ and then see if you can see a difference.

I hope this helps.

Tone

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have heard that the Denons can cause some 'blocking' problems within the projected image. In other words, the image can look very digitized and not natural. This is only what I have picked up from reviews and comments on this forum. You may want to research this further before taking my word for it.
    Another model that has just been released and seems an incredible bargain is the new Samsung HD945 DVD player which has both HDMI and DVI outputs as well as upscaling capabilities up to 1080i and 720p. I have seen this model on sale for only £156 inc. vat.
    I believe the DVD player has an enormous role in the quality of the image through HDMI as the player does indeed 'process' the image first and then passes that image as a digital signal which requires no analogue conversion by the projector.
    Look in the DVD player section of the forum for more indepth reviews of these and other HDMI players.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    I picked up a PIoneer 868 on Sunday from Krish and via HDMI to HS50 is stunning IMO. Myself and Matt800 were very impressed. Matt was so impressed he ordered an HS50 and 868 with HDMI cable the next day ;)
    I'm running the 868 in 1080i as 720p produces a border which I'm not overly happy with. Also I'm having to change the player as it's frozen on a few of the discs I've tried so far :(

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Blindman
    Unless the spend is insignificant I would recommend a dem.

I hear what the other chaps are saying but I could not see a huge difference at all (and I was not alone).

Museumesteve - did you see the difference between HDMI and Component at the shop?

Tone

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Do you know why that is, is that a problem with the 1:1 on the HS50?

7. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 50 yesterday and set it up with component last night.
    Image was very bright and bold and very very clear (compared to my Z2)
    Blacks also very impressive. Watched ID4 (5 Star) and Silence of the Lambs (Crit) and I can honestly say that the jump in performance justified the expenditure.
    The only real concern that i had was that the image did look very very slightly blocky when there was alot of information on the screen i.e alot of fast moving objects going across the screen at once. This may be down to my component lead (£30 10mtr job from maplin as a stop gap) or it may be down to the denon, not sure, but did virtually no tweeking on the pj last night at all. Just put it on the coffee table (no ceiling mount let) and used it. Poping out today so may look for a hdmi cable as my denon's got the hdmi port.

Tone, did you notice how hot the 50 gets after a short period of time? Mine get's far hotter than the Z2 did.

Jason.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You cannot get 1:1 pixel mapping on the HS50 from HDMI. It has about 10% overscan IIRC. You can get 1:1 on VGA but only @60Hz

Conor

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It does get quite warm but consider the fan noise I guess it may not be spinning quite so madly and its a bigger case as well which may have something to do with it.

Mines mounted now - I'll take some pics shortly and post. Its great you have now received yours!!

I would be interested in your thoughts on HDMI.

Catch you later

Tone

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    have to admit mate I haven't tried Component. Due to the change in connections over the HS20 I had to change my cabling in the room and everything is trunked in :( so I dont have an easy way of trying component. I may get adventurous this weekend though but of course I'd kick myself if I found a £150 HDMI cable didn't make any difference lol :D
    The overscan issue is very frustrating and something I would have thought shouldn't be a problem. I assume there is some technical reason for it, does anyone know?

11. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Attached Files:

12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    A few more pics of my pic palace are up on the link previously posted if anyone wants to see a mounted HS50!

There are some other pics of the cable mess and the routing of the cablkes from the PJ as well as well as a pic or two of my hidden front effects and rear centre backs.
    Cheers

Tone

13. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :censored: :censored: :censored:

I was hoping to have my pics of a ceiling mounted 50 up first, but UPS guy hasn't taken his finger out of his :censored: and delivered my ceiling mount yet :rotfl:

Just in the progress of running the hdmi and better quality component cables I picked up today through the loft.

Agree with what you're saying about the heat issue. Won't notice it when it's mounted as it'll be out of reach anyway.

Jason.

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Comer and Monopole thanks for the info, i havent read avs for a while as you usually have to wade through a mountain of posts before you find something informative.

Does anybody know if there will be a firmware fix for this as i understand it now, please correct me if i am wrong, if you try to send it a 1280x720 image the HS50 rescales to an image with overscan :confused: .

15. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's rescaling, I think it just smooths the image (some kind on anti-aliasing perhaps) then sets 25 pixels or so around the edges to black.

1080i hdmi works fine though - it has zero blanking around the edges.

And 1280x720 VGA is fine too. It's just 1280x720 from component and hdmi that suffers the edge blanking.

All a bit weird really.

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Where's your link to the photo's of your HS50?? :confused:

17. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    how does the hs50 differ from the 20?

and why are these hdmi cables so expensive?

I bought mine from geffen before they were really available int he UK and it cost be £40 landed for 5 metres (was actually 15ft).

Have to say, on the hs20 to the 868, I barely notice the difference between component and hdmi.

18. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    would a 2910 work fine via HDMI to a 50?