Which Hdmi Cable?

mik

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just taken the plunge and much like the rest of the flock have ordered a pv500 and I am stuck at which hdmi cable to buy, my dvd is a denon 3910.
Plenty of cables to choose and plenty of difference in price, I would gather the best would be the wireworld ultraviolet but with needing a 5m cable I didnt really want to spend £250 on a cable. I see wireworld also do a cheaper cable the chroma series and for a 5m run costs around the £100 mark which is ideally what I would like to spend. Is there a big difference in the 2 cables, enough to warrant the extra cash.
Also notice a few other cables by Van den hul, chord silver, QEd Qunex, Supra, are any of these worth considering or any pointers to cables I havent mentioned, any input greatly appreciated

Cheers
Mick

It has been said that there isn't any difference between HDMI cables wirth them carrying a digital signal.

I got mine from MArk Grant in the Classifieds.
It was a Mloex one.
I paid £25 for 3m.

Haven't tried it yet, I am just futureproofing cos I am burying the cables.

I have read some good reports on cables etc on these forums, from a firm called Cable Universe. It might be worth investigating. Geoff.

cheers for the input guys, appreciated

Try Lindy.com also. They are well priced and do the job. I agree about digital cables, once the connection is made, you are highly unlikely to see a picture difference. The exception being if the cable is too long, out of spec. This is set at 7m, there is no such thing as an HDMI cable longer than this, wll not officially. You can do it, that's when you need to think about spending money.

I use the Chord Company silver and it performs fine. I recently tested it against the New Nordost Wyrewizard at about £85 and thought that the Chord was slightly less noisy but the difference was almost insignificantly marginal. I asked my local sevenoaks about the wireworld, thinking that a really expensive hdmi might be better still and they said that that the ultraviolet was only better than the chroma on very long distance runs. At upto 3m there was nothing between them. Im still keen to try a high-end hdmi to see if Mal is correct and have spotted a rather beautifully made audioquest at about £250.

I do not wish to hijack this thread - but does VGA cable has such limitations as well? I'm going to purchase a 10m VGA cable.

tutu said:
I do not wish to hijack this thread - but does VGA cable has such limitations as well? I'm going to purchase a 10m VGA cable.

Hi tutu.
I'm have Bandridge 7m VGA cable between my PC and plasma, pq is very good imho. I presume 10m woudn't be any problem either, but try to find some quality piece like Wireworld chroma 5.
On the other hand, (mik), HDMI cables are plenty on the market. Try Chord company Sl+, Monster HDMI400, Nordost optix, Audioquest HDMI-1 etc...

I have the 5m QED Quenex, and tested it today (with a HDMI - DVI converter) to play some HD demos from the PC............. WOW!!

Got the cable for £57.50 on-line, let me know if you want details......

Are these cables really that much better than something like the Rolines which go for ridiculously cheap money in comparison ???

To be honest I don't know but doubt it? I just wanted to get all round mid range cables as I was chasing them into the wall, the way I see it I've just spent £2.5K on the plasma it would be a shame to 'potentially' ruin it with cheap cables.

arrgh!! guys cheers for the input but alas too late, I bought the wireworld chroma this morning from hifi cables.co.uk hopefully here tomorrow as my panasonic arrived this afternoon. After ordering I also saw mention of the bettercables on the forum and I'm thinking I may have rushed into buying, I hope I'm wrong anyway.

Btw first impressions of the panasonic are not that great, more so with telewest but I know that isnt down to the panasonic and I am only rgb with the 3910, so I am hoping for a big leap when the hdmi cable arrives

i have a 3910 and a hitachi 5200 and at first i used a £25 dvi lead then i tried a £50 hdmi lead with a qed hdmi to dvi adaptor i now use a chord lead with the qed adaptor the picture is much better personaly i dont think you can go far wrong with chord with out spending lots more
also my local dealer had a 3m one for £85

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom