1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which HDMI cable to use between a 504HDE and an Arcam DV79

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rags, Jun 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Any thoughts on this ? I'm looking for a 1m cable and there seems to be no middle ground - after the Molex, prices seem to jump significantly.

I read a review of a Wireworld HDMI cable for over £100 in What HiFi (yes I know) and they seemed to love it - is it worth spending so much money and has anyone tried any of the more expensive HDMI cables ? TBH I am not sure which manufacturers apart from Molex and Wireworld make HDMI cables...

Thanks
    Rags

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I can't imagine how you could possible get better quality on a 1m cable over which digital signals are being passed.
    If the cheap cable passes the bits without any degradation (which would be immediately apparent on a plasma screen) then I don't see how you can improve on that.
    If the bitstream that goes in one end is the same as the bitstream that comes out the other then does it matter which cable you use?

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
  4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Thanks for the link on the Ultraviolet.

Brogan - I understand the logic in your point but that would apply to all digital cables and people have claimed to have heard significant differences.

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Yes they have, haven't they.
    Never yet had anyone prove it to me though...
    You can't beat the laws of physics or logic - if the cable itself does not introduce any noise and the bits going in one end are the same as the bits coming out of the other end (or at the very least are above the minimum threshold to be recognised as a bit) then the resulting sound will be the same, whether it's a solid piece of gold or a bit of wet string.

IMO of course... ;)

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Brogan - I agree with you 100% on this. There should be no need to spend £100s for an HDMI cable as the signal is digital - it's equivalent to saying you should ensure an expensive IDE cable between your CD-ROM and Motherboard! - utterly ridiculous. Frankly anyone who says otherwise is just clinging to outdated analogue principles.

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have achat with Joe @ www.tmfsolutions.co.uk as I think he has been testing Molex and Supra DVI/HDMI cables..

His opinion is likely to be a little more impartial than WHF ;)

JJ

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    for 1-2m i think i would agree with you guys but, for runs of 3m and more cable quality does begin to count. this has been proven again and again with DVI cables and there digital.

problem is try buying a cheap hdmi cable over 4m.
    i needed a 9m cable, and at that length your options are limited

9. MikeA

MikeA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    If the cable is of sufficiently low quality to be unable to carry the signal then you will get no signal or an intermittant one - simple as that. The bottom line is that, provided the signal can be successfully carried through the cable, then the picture from a budget HDMI cable and the most expensive one in the world will be identical. There is no 'degrading' of the picture.

As is always the problem with new technology. Give it a year and we will see loads more HDMI cables on the market as Panasonic, Toshiba and others come to market with HDMI equipped kit.

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    The cable that Supra has just released is selling for £45 for a 1m length. Maybe it's a good compromise between the Molex at £20 and the Wireworld at £120. TBH I am reluctant to spend more than £50 without trying it for myself or at least having an opinion from someone who has done a head to head.

Or maybe Brogan and others are right and therefore even the Supra will be a waste of money. I personally have heard significant differences between analogue cables but if it doesnt matter in the digital domain how do manufacturers get away with selling (or rather why do consumers buy) expensive cables ?

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Or vastly inflated profits...
    Imagine the mark up on a £100+ 2mtr HDMI cable :eek:

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    hificables did a head to head of a 1m Molex and the 1m Wireworld. Link to the review is below. They preferred the Wireworld - so is the reveiwer just imagining things or is this a tactic to flog the more expensive cable ?

http://www.hificables.co.uk/article/mcs/art/30

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Only you can decide that but I know what I think...

If they preferred the Wireworld then the only logical reason is because the Molex cable degrades the signal, or degrades it more than the Wireworld cable.
    Somehow I doubt this for a 1m cable over which a digital signal is being passed...

Again, if the bits coming out of both cables are identical (which they can't fail to be over a distance of 1m) then it is impossible for the resulting audio/video to be any different.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    In the analogue domain it does indeed pay dividends to buy expensive cabling - as I'm sure many of us have done. The differences between a cheap cable and expensive ones can be staggering for audio and video.

However this does not translate to the digital domain at all. A HDMI cable is merely transporting a signal consisting of 0s and 1s. If there is any corruption in the data transfer the picture/audio will either totally fail or, at the least, suffer serious MPEG artifacts (much as you might see on a degrading DVDR for example). Otherwise the receiving device will compile the picture and it will look identical to the original. That is the whole point of these digital connections: to be totally lossless.

You will see reference to both Copper and Fibre Optic HDMI cabling - this is because Copper wiring can only support the data transfer upto 15m. However whether the cable is Copper or Fibre Optic makes NO difference provided the signal is able to transverse the cable to the receiving device.