Which HDMI cable for Denon 1930 from Peter Tyson

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryHornet

Novice Member
I am just about to buy a Denon 1930 from Peter Tyson, but I am not sure which HDMI cable to get with it.

There is a Denon AK-HM @ £55 or a QED QUNEX HDMI Cable for £30.

I dont know which i should get, grateful for any advice.

MannyMore

Standard Member
Check out the forum "powerbuys" regarding HDMI cables

Found Joe Ferdinand to be very helpful with advice and products

JohnWH

If its a short run just go for a standard Molex cable (~£17 for 2m), there's no point spending more as it'll gain you nothing.

John.

R

recruit

If its a short run just go for a standard Molex cable (~£17 for 2m), there's no point spending more as it'll gain you nothing.

I agree the Molex is a well made cable but i have tried a few cables now against the standard Molex and they are Wireworld Ultraviolet / Chord Silver Plus and also the new Nordost Silver Screen HDMI cable and all gave a sharper and better picture quality overall.

Brogan

Novice Member
I agree the Molex is a well made cable but i have tried a few cables now against the standard Molex and they are Wireworld Ultraviolet / Chord Silver Plus and also the new Nordost Silver Screen HDMI cable and all gave a sharper and better picture quality overall.
Interesting.
Have you got any screen shots with the various cables that clearly highlight the differences?

R

recruit

Interesting.
Have you got any screen shots with the various cables that clearly highlight the differences?

No i have not Brogan but the main difference to me on my Pioneer is the sharper picture. i know this is something of great debate and it is only 1's and 0's so what difference should it make but it does and urge people to try and then decide.;)

Brogan

Novice Member
i know this is something of great debate and it is only 1's and 0's so what difference should it make but it does and urge people to try and then decide.;)
Which is why I was asking whether you had proof of the difference as most people are not in a position to compare several different cables in different price brackets and therefore have to buy just 1 cable on the strength of reviews and/or user comments.

I personally have never been able to see the difference between a freebie bundled cable, a 'cheap' Molex or a more expensive BetterCables cable so I too would be interested to see screenshots of definite improvements.

R

recruit

I presume the differences are down to better quality cable and it's sheilding, i know that this is something HDMI 1.3 is based upon and a must for that version.

JohnWH

I presume the differences are down to better quality cable and it's sheilding, i know that this is something HDMI 1.3 is based upon and a must for that version.

What differences? There aren't any to be seen, and its not like I'm using low end kit.

John.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

GloryHornet - the key difference between the Denon AK-HM cables and the QED QUNEX-P or Molex being the Denon is rated to 1080p; the other two are rated to 720p/1080i.

Being 1080p compliant is not going to be relevant to everyone and to further muddy your decision making I'd have to say that the Denon 1930 works (for me) best when you don't invoke its up conversion!!!

If you want something that's guaranteed to perform with all signals up to and including 1080p for under 50.00 GBP have a look at - http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3

Best regards

Joe

SteveAS

Novice Member
Hello all

GloryHornet - the key difference between the Denon AK-HM cables and the QED QUNEX-P or Molex being the Denon is rated to 1080p; the other two are rated to 720p/1080i.

Being 1080p compliant is not going to be relevant to everyone and to further muddy your decision making I'd have to say that the Denon 1930 works (for me) best when you don't invoke its up conversion!!!

If you want something that's guaranteed to perform with all signals up to and including 1080p for under 50.00 GBP have a look at - http://www.bettercables.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3

Best regards

Joe

Joe, do you mean its better when the HDMi feature is switched off, or do you mean leave it at its lowest setting,i.e. 585/720p?

Brogan

Novice Member
Joe, do you mean its better when the HDMi feature is switched off, or do you mean leave it at its lowest setting,i.e. 585/720p?
I would guess he means to output from the DVD in 720x576 and let the display device do the scaling.

I too get the best picture doing this with my Pioneer 868 and letting the plasma and projector do the scaling to 1280x768 and 1280x720 respectively.

R

recruit

What differences? There aren't any to be seen, and its not like I'm using low end kit.

John.

I do find that after reading many posts via you're kind self and not just in the cables forum, you clearly think and see you're self as an elitist and put down any other persons opinion whether it be ref to Audio / Video / Processors if you do not consider it to you're likeing, i keep a very opened mind when it comes to subjects like cables and have also learnt to trust my own judgement and welcome a healthy debate as long as it does not get argumentative which you clearly like to provoke.

thanks.

loz

Better quality cable and sheilding might reduce errors, but it cannot make the picture "sharper" or "better".

Without some proof, you cannot uniquivically say as you did "it does", only that it does "in your opinion".

However, I am happy for someone to correct me if I am wrong, and have asked several times in this forum for people to put forward an explanation as to why an HDMI cable might degrade the PQ in normal circumstances (a cable can never improve PQ). I know why a cable might introduce HDMI errors, but such errors do not affect picture sharpness or overall PQ.

So far, no one has done so, including those who sell the things.

R

recruit

loz - I have said all i am going to say in this thread and like i said before people should make there own mind up rather than completely disregard it.

loz

loz - I have said all i am going to say in this thread and like i said before people should make there own mind up rather than completely disregard it.

I, like many others have tried it, and made my own mind up. There's no difference between HDMI cables.

That's why I am always interested in seeing evidence to the contrary, or a decent explanation of why differences might occur.

It is a pity that apparently having the evidence in front of you, you are unwilling to share it.

R

recruit

It is a pity that apparently having the evidence in front of you, you are unwilling to share it.

This thread has run it's course and i am closeing as the nature of these threads go nowhere, i was going to leave it open but you're statement above has just done it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom