Which HDD recorder? help please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by McCol, Oct 22, 2004.

1. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Hi all, first post on this forum and would like some help choosing a hdd recorder.

Ok up until yesterday i was going to buy a panasonic e55 dvd recorder for approx £180 but then noticed richersounds were selling both the pioneer dvr420 and panasonic e85 for approx £380.

I managed to find reviews of the e55 which helped me decide on that, but i am struggling to find reviews for either of the hdd players. Can anybody give me any advice on which one to buy?
    I also assume that these are good prices for these machines as most places seem to sell the e85 for between £450 and £600.

Many thanks

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The E55 does not have HDD.
    For the money,the current Toshiba is the best there is.It writes to -RW and RAM,so you have compatibility and editing functions.It has very good menu options,and should be cheaper than any other HDD/DVDR you can find

3. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to buy another DVD/HDD recorder, I would probably go for the Panasonic E85(preferably multiregion), as I believe this is the best one in terms of quality, reliability and ease of use :) .

4. grumpy42

grumpy42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have to second phelings recomendation. I bought and personally tested the JVC DRMH30, Pioneer DVR520, and the Toshiba XS32 and I came to the same conclusion. The JVC had great picture quality and large hard drive but had some frustrating limitations as well as limited features. The Pioneer had great features and a nice UI but had inferior picture quality. The Toshiba has nearly the equivelant picture quality (SP mode) as the JVC, and it has a multitude of great features. The UI may be a little daunting, but it is well worth it. Virtually everything on the Toshiba is customizable.

Initially, I stayed away from the Toshiba since it was one of the cheapest recorders, but I was pleasantly suprised at how capable it is. Also, considering how fast technology moves, in 6 months (or sooner) there will most likely be something much better available than any of the current offerings. Replacing the Toshiba at that time will not be as painful as replacing a much more expensive recorder.

The most important thing is to determine what you want to do with the recorder and pick one that meets your needs.

I did not test any Panasonics since they do not support -RW recording.

5. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Thanks for the replies.
    After finding a few reviews, i think i am going to plump for the Panasonic e85. I can get a multiregion version from richersounds for £399, which is the cheapest i have found so far.

7. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've made a good choice McCol. That seems to be the best price currently for the E85 multiregion :) .

8. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Well i made my purchase but not the one i intended to make!

Over the last few days my 10 year old 24inch tv has been playing funny buggers so i ended up buying a panasonic tx-28pm11 tv and the e55 dvd recorder for £599. Going to get sky+ over the next couple of months for the hard-drive side of things.

Not tried the dvd yet but the picture quality of the tv is very nice indeed.

9. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    can you swap the hard drive , in these recorders for bigger ones?........as you can with pcs/x-boxes etc ??

cheers

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,926
    No - you can replace the HDD but extra capacity will not be recognised.