Which HD streamer? Ziova, Popcorn, Tvix6500?? anything else?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by DannyBoy73, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DannyBoy73

DannyBoy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting a NAS and what to stream video content.

I'm interested in:
    HD Film (blu-ray images stored on NAS)
    SD DVD (.ISO images stored on NAS)
    AVI's
    h.264.
    View photos

From reading threads on here it would appear the best choices are:
    Ziova CS615
    Popcorn
    Tvix6500

Is there any other streamer I should consider?

And out of the 3 above which one best suits my needs. I don't require it to stream music.

Also I'm pretty new to this so I might of missed out some obvious formats/video types... Do all 3 players generally play the same formats?

Don't want to invest in a streamer, then really get into it and find I can't play some types etc..

So lots of questions... thanks in advance.

Cheers

2. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I should say that the M6500A has the potential to be the best, but it is delayed 'til end of Feb. The Popcorn Hour is available now, if you can find a web site that'll take your order. The Ziova thing isn't slated to arrive in the USA until March, and I should imagine some months after that in Europe.

3. -BA-

-BA-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have managed to get on the first 50 UK reserved for the 6500 through the MPC Club and I am in no huge hurry to purchase. Seems a fair bit more expensive than the PH but is it likely to deliver a fair bit more in terms of performance and variety of filetypes? Reckon I might sit tight and wait for the 6500 as, judging by how quickly the "pre-order now" button is appearing for people on the PH site, it is going to be around the same time or later anyway.

4. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    That's what I thought. With the £:Euro at record lows neither the 260 Euros for the PH from Holland, or 379 Euros for the M6500A from Holland don't really appeal.

The Pre-Order now button at PH sells it to you in USD, which although not at the dizzying heights of two months ago is still a better deal, IMHO.