Which HD source?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by guitarmarky, Sep 21, 2007.

1. guitarmarky

guitarmarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I have just taken delivery of a Pana TH42pz70 plasma (Full HD). Have watched some films using a cheap dvd player thru' a scart lead. I am very impressed with the picture, so am now eager to get a proper hd source & connections etc....

Can't decide whether to go for an Arcam dvd player (to fit in with my other Arcam kit) which I think would only be an 'upscaling dvd - not HD??
    Or go for a cheaper HD DVD (or Blu-Ray?)
    Or, I'm now thinking Xbox + HD Drive!

Getting a bit confused, so some thoughts on it would be great..

Thanks
    Mark

2. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the X-Box 360 HD-DVD drive plugged in to my HTPC. This is better, since the HTPC has HDMI-out, and Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra can do 1080p (the X-Box is limited to 720p/1080i, IIRC).

Also, the HTPC is quieter than the X-Box 360, which makes a horrible fracking noise when it's turned on.

However, you probably don't want to spend another £750 building an HTPC.

My point is though, get something with HDMI out, and something quiet. These two points I definitely stress. So perhaps a standalone HD-DVD player from Toshiba is what you really want?

3. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    either a PC with 360 drive and or a blu-ray drive which a pioneer one can be had now for about 140 quid.

or the seperates route and just go for the tosh player which also makes a great upscaling player for SD DVDs

depends what you want out of it i guess

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

Mark

Is your DVD collection all region 2 or a mixture ?

In reality all DVD's will be upscaled to fit the native resolution by the display itself. The real question is does an "upscaling" DVD player do a better job of video processing i.e. deinterlacing/upscaling than the display.

Also you need to establish if you will be bothered by motion judder unless your display will properly handle 1080p/24 output from a HD DVD or Blu-ray player.

AVI

5. Bishop Beesley

Bishop Beesley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Marky.....first off, what kind of dvd player have you got already?

If it's a nice one and has got Component output with Progressive Scan...then there's your first step, right there. Just buy a decent set of Component leads (plus a pair of audios if you're not connected to an amp) and you'll see an immediate improvement over your Scart connection.

In fact despite my Sony being an upscaler i've kept to Component because I think it gives an overall better picture that the upscaled one. If you're happy with the result, then don't worry about buying an upscaler....they really can show the strain in darker scenes.

As for going HD. Well the Tosh HD player is pretty damn reasonable AND will act as an upscaler for your SD discs. BUT will only play Region 2 SD dvds, although HD DVD disc are region free.

With this set up, you'll have a choice of which to play your SD R2 dvds on, and decide which (component or hdmi) does the best job on a particular title. Your region 1 SD titles you can play on your original machine.

Of course this is all assuming your current dvd player has component out.....if not, well an HD dvd player will do everything except play your R1's...depends how many of those you've got really....two thirds of my collection is R1, so for me it's essential, but if you've just got a handful of titles then just use your old player with Scart.

As to the Xbox 360. Well it's a great console...i've owned one since it came out....so if you're a gamer and want to get it with the Hd add-on it's a good buy (btw Microsoft are bringing out an updated HD add-on quite soon, so you may want to wait for that), but be aware, if you just want a player then obviously this is a more expensive option. And the whirring of the 360's fans can be a little distracting in the quieter moments of movies.

Hope that helped. :)

6. guitarmarky

guitarmarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey, thanks for the replies.

I'm at work at the mo, so will check over the weekend - but I think most of my DVD's are R2.

My current player is a Sanyo DVD+VCR combo! But I think it does have component. It does make some noise, so I would hope that the 360's fans will be quieter!! Not sure about prog scan?

Sorry, but what is HTPC ?? !!

I have always been more into 2 channel, but since getting this tv - I'm always eager to watch my next movie - it's amazing!!! Conversion in progress!!!

I am tempted with the 360. I'm not a gamer at the mo, but have been in the past on PS1 !!! Man these things have come on.

Thanks again
    Mark

7. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The 360 is bloody noisy. Might be worth finding a shop that will do you a demo so you can tell for yourself. The 360 won't do progressive at 1080 (1080p) due to limitations of component output (I think), and unless you get the 360 Elite (expensive) it won't have HDMI.

Consider the PS3 - if you fancy Blu-Ray instead of HD-DVD, it's much quieter and all models have HDMI. Fewer games than the 360, though.

Home Theatre PC. In my case, a small silver quiet Core 2 Duo box running Windows Vista Home Premium, Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra, and various other things (Joost, ...ehemAzureusehem...).

8. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Hi Mark

If R2 then you don't need to worry about the DVD player being multiregion which is a problem with the DVD for both Blu-ray and HD DVD players.

The Tosh E1 is a very capable upscaling DVD and HD DVD player. HD DVD will produce a better image (apart from 3:2 judder) that even the very best upscaled DVD. In fact your display will be a more limiting factor than the source.

Personally I would go with the ~£170 Tosh E1 to test the water. If you find motion judder a problem with HD DVD you still have a very good upscaling DVD player.

AVI

9. guitarmarky

guitarmarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks,
    If the 360 is noisy - that could put me off it (as a dvd player anyway!)
    My extsting DVD is progressive scan, so I think I will start off getting some component leads, then I may take your advice on the Tosh.

We have just moved into a new house & have loads of stuff to sort out, so throwing an Xbox into the equation isn't going to help with progress!!!

Thanks again
    Mark

10. av_101

av_101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I initially went down the 360 HD DVD drive route and found it unacceptably noisey...

Went for the dedicated Tosh player in the end..:smashin:

11. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I currently AM finding the X360 noise unacceptable (even with my Heath Robinson collection of noise absorbent foam around the console) and am about to pass it down to the kids for their playroom TV and get a Tosh dedicated player.