Which HD player is best for a 'normal' setup?

Haribokart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a little confused. I have a Toshiba WLT68 (1360x768), and currently have a 360 HD-drive. The 360 drive looks amazing in 720p over VGA, but the noise of the drive itself is very offputting. So when the UK HD-players are out I'm after one of them, which is where the problems arise.

Audio-wise I don't know which is I need, as my current upscaling DVD player is plugged into my 5.1 amp Via co-ax. I understand the XE1 is the only player with a co-ax output. I could use one of my in-use optical sockets I guess, but it means my freeview box would have to be plugged in via standard L/R audio.

Also confusing me, the TV I have will accept 1080p over HDMI and downscale it to the TV's resolution which I assume will look better then 720p with the slight upscaling to 1360x768. Or would a HD-E1 set to 720p be just right for me?

All in all I am a very confused chap, and don't really know if I should go for the HD-E1 or pay the extra for the XE1 which could end up being pointless for my screen/amp. I've been following HD for ages, and am more informed then most but still find myself unsure when it comes to these two players, all I want is the best possible sound and picture my stuff will let me have!

Please help, what would you do if you were me!

if the noise is the only problem crank up the sound a bit and dont waste money on equipment that you dont need, thats just my opion and your free to spend it as you please but as you have everything you need for the HD experience spend the extra cash on a popcorn mechine

The advantages the XE1 has over the E1 include: (E1 in Brackets) 1080p HD-DVD output (1080i) / 1080p upscaling of standard def DVD (1080i). HDMI v1.3 (v1.2) / Digital coaxial audio output (optical) and that's about it.
Your TV will be just as happy with a 1080i signal as a 1080p one as both will be scaled to your TV's native resolution and will look the same. Which leaves the audio out socketry and the latest HDMI connection. The v1.3 HDMI is said to allow Dolby Digital + and DTS-HD audio to be transmitted down the cable as well as the image which v1.2 does not. and of course as you mentioned, you only have one digital audio out socket.
I am sure you can get a digital audio switching box which will allow you to plug multiple audio cables in and just one out to your amp. Check out this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934&&source=14&doy=search
So my advice is that with your current display, the HD-E1 will be fine for your requirements and the switching box should be considerably less than the added expense of the XE1.
But don't forget, both HD players can also act as an upscaling SD DVD player so you may not need your current one connected anyway!
Does your freeview box output Dolby Digital? if not, then analogue cables will be just fine which will free up an optical socket on your amp

I have a hard time to decide as i have the HD-XE on preorder.

I am torned between the Toshiba or importing the Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player.

The advantages the XE1 has over the E1 include: (E1 in Brackets) 1080p HD-DVD output (1080i) / 1080p upscaling of standard def DVD (1080i). HDMI v1.3 (v1.2) / Digital coaxial audio output (optical) and that's about it.
Your TV will be just as happy with a 1080i signal as a 1080p one as both will be scaled to your TV's native resolution and will look the same. Which leaves the audio out socketry and the latest HDMI connection. The v1.3 HDMI allows Dolby Digital + and DTS-HD audio to be transmitted down the cable as well as the image which v1.2 does not. and of course as you mentioned, you only have one digital audio out socket.
I am sure you can get a digital audio switching box which will allow you to plug multiple audio cables in and just one out to your amp. Check out this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934&&source=14&doy=search
So my advice is that with your current display, the HD-E1 will be fine for your requirements and the switching box should be considerably less than the added expense of the XE1.
But don't forget, both HD players can also act as an upscaling SD DVD player so you may not need your current one connected anyway!
Does your freeview box output Dolby Digital? if not, then analogue canles will be just fine which will free up an optical socket on your amp
Nope, freeview only does Pro-logic.

Thankyou very much, now just need to find an E1 :)

The v1.3 HDMI allows Dolby Digital + and DTS-HD audio to be transmitted down the cable as well as the image which v1.2 does not.

Do you know this is happening with the XE1?

Hi it just says HDMI 1.3, it says nothing about being able to output raw undecoded audio (DD+, TrueHD etc). As HD DVD mixes inside the player for audio and video sources I am not sure this will be possible atm.....but until we get HDMI 1.3 players and receivers it is all speculation.

It is a bit like the 1080p@24 thing. If they agree a way forward for HD DVD on this (not currently in spec) then yes it might also be possible with HDMI 1.3 but at the moment they are mixing internally audio formats, just like the video formats.....

Hi it just says HDMI 1.3, it says nothing about being able to output raw undecoded audio (DD+, TrueHD etc). As HD DVD mixes inside the player for audio and video sources I am not sure this will be possible atm.....but until we get HDMI 1.3 players and receivers it is all speculation.

It is a bit like the 1080p@24 thing. If they agree a way forward for HD DVD on this (not currently in spec) then yes it might also be possible with HDMI 1.3 but at the moment they are mixing internally audio formats, just like the video formats.....

I see what you are saying now! I thought you just wanted to know if it definitely had v1.3 HDMI.
The latter part was an assumption on my part as I thought that was the supposed benefit of having v1.3 HDMI over v1.2.

But as you have pointed out...I could well be wrong! :(

Doesn't the XE1 have 5.1 Ch outputs, and the E1 doesn't? ?

Ideal if you want to listen to the new sound formats with a 5.1 equiped amp, rather than a re-encoded digital signal.

:confused:

The new Pioneer plasmas are 768 res I think, but can accept 1080p24. So would it be better to go for X1 or E1? As there will be scaling happening both thimes, 1080i or 1080p.

Doesn't the XE1 have 5.1 Ch outputs, and the E1 doesn't? ?

Ideal if you want to listen to the new sound formats with a 5.1 equiped amp, rather than a re-encoded digital signal.

:confused:

One of the biggest advantages I think over the E1 is the 5.1 analogue outs on the XE1. This means that those who have av amps lacking HDMI inputs could still enjoy the benefits of TrueHD etc, so no need to upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom