1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which HD DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bishbashbosh, Aug 22, 2005.

1. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at the Samsung 950 - but will this play HD DVD. I know it will upscale normal DVD's, but will it play the new format when it's released?
    Sorry if I appear dim, but I've only just started looking and reading up on this.

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No it will not play HD-DVDs. The first HD-DVD players are due towards the end of this year. Expect these to be expensive. Not sure how long until we see more affordable players.

3. Albino Eatpod

Albino Eatpod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't play HD-DVDs or Blue-ray DVDs. AFAIK, there are no HD-DVD players available to buy right now.

4. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought as much... In that case I won't bother, I'll wait and see what happens when they're released. Also, I wouldn't go for this model, as I've just realised that it doesn't have 5.1 on board.

Thanks guys.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    HD material is available but AFAIK it's in "intermediate" formats such as WMV-HD which are more "lossy" hence take up less space than "true" HD (HD-DVD / BluRay) - so it can be fitted onto standard DVD discs....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/002-1245062-4477605?v=glance&s=dvd

These won't play on normal DVD players hence up to now has been the domain of HTPC's, but this JVC player has been announced...

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/press_res.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101546&itempath=&feature_id=08

I must emphasise, this is not true HD format, which will be superior, but it is HD res ie 720p...PJ :)

6. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Also, if I buy this will I have problems with plugging a HD-DVD (in the future) AND a TV signal ie SKY or Freeview at the same time? It's just it only has one HDMI. What would I do?

7. Sweetenham

Sweetenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just really confused by the whole upscaling debate. I've got a Samsung le26r41b and if I get the Samsung 950 am I going to see sufficient improvement over just using my Panasonic DMR-E55 to justify the expenditure with HD-DVD/Blu-ray (not to mention SKY HD) just round the corner.

8. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see the point in wasting the money to be honest. I'm gonna wait until the real HD-DVD's are out and purchase one of them. Yes you do see improvements because of the upscaling, but it's not a true HD player.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Not necessarily, it may actually make things worse. If you upscale in the DVD player to a res which isn't the native res of the display device, then you'll be introducing more scaling in the display.

All this scaling mularky is OK to dabble with but it's not a panacea for better PQ, and may not be as good as a well implemented component player spitting out 480/576p...PJ :)

10. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the HDMI question? Any ideas?

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm not sure if, when true HD players hit the market, HDMI will be the only connection option. Component may be too, albeit there will be D-A-D signal conversion but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Worst case you'll need a HDMI switcher or an AV amp which can do it - not cheap at the moment but who knows in 18 months time?

...PJ :)

12. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm.....not wrong they're expensive, just had a quick look. There's always a catch!!! Maybe I could find a HDTV with two or more HDMI's. I shall have a perusal, although the Hitachi 32LD7200 looks mighty fine for the money.

13. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Don't think there are any sets with 2 HDMI inputs at the moment.

SKY HD next year and by the time they sort out HD-DVD and Blue Ray you are looking at a couple of years until they become affordable. By this time HDMI switching amps will be the norm and at a reasonable price. There will also be HDMI switchers around that will be a reasonable cost as well.

For the time being a set with one HDMI input will be fine. Stick to component for DVD as HDMI doesn't offer much (if any) improvement with SD DVDs.

14. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    new pioneer plasma will have 2 i think

15. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did find one, but absolute extortionate price! I'll take your advice, thank you!

16. bishbashbosh

bishbashbosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to buy a Freeview box, how do I get my HD signal to my HDTV? Do I need to buy a Freeview box with a HDMI?

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's probably one for the HDTV forum...PJ :)