Which HD display for me? Put off by the panasonic's green blob issues

monkey11477

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been trawling the internet for some time now as I want to upgrade my lounge TV (currently a Sharp LC32LE600E). I got it through an affinity program and it came with a transferable 5 yr warranty, it's too big for my bedroom so I was thinking I could sell it with a couple of years left on the warranty to get a decent price for it.

I'm looking for a good 40-47" set and I'd like 3D for as small a price a possible whilst maintaining good PQ for HD sources and low input lag.
Things that matter to me: Image quality with HD, motion clarity, low input lag, a stand.
Things that do not matter at all: Smart functions, SD performance, tuner, sound quality, number of glasses (will probably be only me that views 3D)

I have no preference as to plasma/LCD or active shutter/passive glasses, I was very impressed with LGs cinema 3D once I’d stepped back to a reasonable viewing distance.
The tuner doesn't matter as I have no Freeview signal and use Freesat instead. A Freesat HD tuner built in would be a bonus as my STB downstairs would replace the old sky box upstairs but built in Freesat only appears on the upper-mid to top of the range TVs and are packed with features I wouldn't use. I have a home cinema system and PS3 which together render the in-built speakers and smart TV functions useless.
It would be preferable for it to have a stand as my internal walls appear to be paper mache and a narrow bezel so my wife doesn't moan about it being too big.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Please don't be put off the Panny because of the green blob saga.
1/ Mine does not have it. Only a few suffer with this.
2/ There is not a single screen out there that is perfect.
3/ In most areas the Panny will blitz all the others - LED's especially!
4/ Panasonic have a fix if you have the green thing now anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply Abbo, I like the GT30 as I could slim down the ammount of stuff in my AV unit whilst adding the record facility to my Freesat viewing. I'm sold, I just have to submit a business plan to the missus!

Interesting post because you're in a similar position to me. I'm not interested in the Smart TV stuff because I too have a PS3.

I'm really keen on two models and can't decide between them. The Panny TX P42GT30 and the Samsung UE40D8000.

Any thoughts one these two and advice as to which I should go for?

Cheers

Is it wrong that I still want the 50VT30? The Samsung D8000 doesn't seem to be without its problems. Was going to buy a TV last year but various problems put me off. Don't see this years new models being much better to be honest.

What to buy, what to buy... :confused:

I had a 55D7000 and sold it within 5 months then bought a 50VT30, absolutely loving it! Wish I had never set eyes on the Sammy. Lost so much money :-(

I had a 55D7000 and sold it within 5 months then bought a 50VT30, absolutely loving it! Wish I had never set eyes on the Sammy. Lost so much money :-(
I hear ya, I feel kind of dirty for considering the Sammy :laugh:.

But these green splurge problems. Be nice if the fix from Panasonic had resolved it. I wonder how many have never experienced it. I realise a high number of people have it and it's very likely I would too, but are there hundreds who haven't come and posted here because they aren't having trouble?

Well since this post I've given in to my inner F1 geek and got Sky+HD, I've now ordered a TXP42ST30 from John Lewis for £550 and also ordered 1 pair of glasses (it will mostly just be me using 3D for now and i expect a further price drop on the panasonic 3rd gen glasses). The TV arrives on Tuesday and I can't wait. My Sharp is on ebay at the moment and include the balance of a 5yr warranty eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I'll post my impressions of the panny once it's up and running

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
anyone got any favourite 3d blu ray movies?

I bought the Panasonic 50G30 from Currys for £549... I am watching F1 qualifying and having made no adjustments other than switch it to THX, I have to say I am very very happy. It may be my imagination but the image is improving daily as the TV 'beds in', maybe it's just me.

The TV is silent in operation, green tinge free and not to bad to look at.......

:thumbsup:

I would've liked to have stretched to a GT but my wife "needed" an iPad which shall we say had a negative effect on my budget :-(

Really impressed with the panny so far, apart from the buzzing that can be heard during quiet scenes

Please don't be put off the Panny because of the green blob saga.

1/ Mine does not have it. Only a few suffer with this.

According to Panasonic themselves this is normal for their 2011 plasmas, not only a few have reported it, a significant number have. I'm glad your happy though, it is very true the issue varies on sets and many dons seem to show it.

2/ There is not a single screen out there that is perfect.

Very true.

3/ In most areas the Panny will blitz all the others - LED's especially!

Agree I loved my GT30 but my Samsung is better in areas and as good in others for less.

4/ Panasonic have a fix if you have the green thing now anyway.

Panasonic DO NOT have a fix, its an attempt to mask the issue, Panasonic have never stated it was/is a fix and good on them for being honest.

See bold.

Just to add I would rather have a GT30 with some green than and LED LCD myself, the Panasonic uniformity issue is nothing compared to that of LEDs:eek:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom