which hd camcorder with macbook

nbkicker33

Hi ive got a mackbook, with imovie hd and imovie 08 on it and plan on buying final cut express 4, current camcorders i have been looking at are panasonic sd5 , sony sr5 and also seen a good review of the samsung hmx10 (but dont no what format it records at), dont no which of the 3 to pick, has anyone got any of the above models and a macbook, dont want to spend a bit of money for macbook not to reconise the camera and not be able to edit my footage, any help appreciated.:thumbsup:

xmb

For the best quality and ease of editing (less load for your MacBook) you need to stick to a DV tape based camcorder. Take a look at CamcorderInfo for their opinion.

I would spend my money on a Canon HV20 or Sony HC7 if I were in the market for a HD camcorder as the whole point of HD is quality so why compromise?

steve77uk

Standard Member
For the best quality and ease of editing (less load for your MacBook) you need to stick to a DV tape based camcorder. Take a look at CamcorderInfo for their opinion.

I would spend my money on a Canon HV20 or Sony HC7 if I were in the market for a HD camcorder as the whole point of HD is quality so why compromise?

I have a C2D MacBook Black and have recently purchased a Sony HDR-SR5. It works absolutly fine, no issues, iMovie 08 works great, automatically recognises the camera and editing has been a breeze. iMovie 8 supports the new AVCHD format and there is no lag and does it all in fast time too. I was amazed how iMovie 8 handles the footage I did, well impressed.

I also have Final Cut Express 4.0. This is the big brother of iMovie 08 for semi-pro's and I am hooked. It is a fantastic program and works seamlessly with the AVCHD Camcorders.

However, I am sending my SR5 back today as the colour quality is very poor IMHO and also the auto-focus is very slow, I am thinking about the SR7 instead unless there is anything better out there?

In a nutshell, your Macbook will work find as long as you are using iMovie 08 and FCE 4, the previous versions do not work...

nbkicker33

cool, at moment very tempted by the panasonic sd5, especially with avchd as i could play this through my ps3 to view.

senu

Distinguished Member
I have a C2D MacBook Black and have recently purchased a Sony HDR-SR5. It works absolutly fine, no issues, iMovie 08 works great, automatically recognises the camera and editing has been a breeze. iMovie 8 supports the new AVCHD format and there is no lag and does it all in fast time too. I was amazed how iMovie 8 handles the footage I did, well impressed.

I also have Final Cut Express 4.0. This is the big brother of iMovie 08 for semi-pro's and I am hooked. It is a fantastic program and works seamlessly with the AVCHD Camcorders.

However, I am sending my SR5 back today as the colour quality is very poor IMHO and also the auto-focus is very slow, I am thinking about the SR7 instead unless there is anything better out there?

In a nutshell, your Macbook will work find as long as you are using iMovie 08 and FCE 4, the previous versions do not work...
True
I would avoid the Samsung
And I would also consider the Canon HG10, if you must use AVCHD
All the HDV camcorders work well with the Mac and PC

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom