Which has the lower power consumtion LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by BarryS, Sep 11, 2007.

1. BarryS

BarryS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help settle an argument that has arrisen on a Mercedes Benz forum!

Which has the lower power consumption, LCD or Plasma? I thought Plasma was known as higher power consumption but there are many who disagree.

I need some real specs, not just oipinions please.

I did check on the Panasonic site but they only give the power consumption specs for their LCD models - probably not a coincidence I feel!

Thanks

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well, I remember reading an article in a magazine (cannot for the life of me remember which one), that a plasma has lower power consumption due to the fact it doesnt have or need a backlight to make up the picture. Also an LCD has to use its backlight to produce blacks as it needs to activate the pixels with light, then the colours used in the pixel cancel each other out. A plasma doesnt need to do this as all it needs to do is simply switch the required pixel(s) off (possibly why plasma produces better black levels than an lcd's).
    The mag did go into greater detail, but this explanation was the general gist of it.

EDIT..

However, have a look HERE as it seems to blow this therory out of the water a bit.

Graham.

3. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
  4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    RPTV uses the least power ..... less than 200W

5. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Problem is the specs usually quote peak usage on plasmas. LCDs are pretty constant. So then the question becomes, "Is the average for a plasma higher than that constant LCD use?" And unfortunately it depends entirely on what you watch. More white, it'll be higher, more black, it could well be lower.