Which has lower power: LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by BarryS, Sep 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BarryS

BarryS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help settle an argument that has arrisen on a Mercedes Benz forum!

Which has the lower power consumption, LCD or Plasma? I thought Plasma was known as higher power consumption but there are many who disagree.

I need some real specs, not just oipinions please.

I did check on the Panasonic site but they only give the power consumption specs for their LCD models - probably not a coincidence I feel!

Thanks

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    it is lcd not opinion fact. plasmas` get hot and that is waisted energy

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The trouble with what you're asking is that what exactly are you wanting to compare? Are you wanting the power consumption compared for two screens of the same size, different sizes, etc?

I think at best you can compare average power consumptions for a particular size of LCD or plasma, but there will likely be differences in power consumption between same sized models of the same tech depending on other functionality the set has (i.e. Freeview tuner)

I believe the rule of thumb has been is that per inch plasma uses more power than LCD, but how that stacks up these days I don't know, and it may be that a bog standard plain plasma may consume less power than a similarly sized LCD that has lots of whizz-bang features.

4. Raitzi

Raitzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    From my own experiences lcds are way more efficient. 37" Plasma rated 350W will use about 250W in average with right calibration. However 40" LCD rated 240W uses only about 140 W if properly calibrated(backlight is not in full blast). So you can get both to safe energy with calibration ,but lcd tends to be better in this regard. Cnet.com has tested power consumprion of many HDTVs.

PS: numbers came from my hat, but you get the point.