Which Harmony for a newbie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by JayCee, Feb 11, 2009.

1. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,567
    Since adding an AV receiver to my AV gear (Panasonic Plasma, SkyHD, PS3, Toshiba DVDR, Wii) my wife and family are a bit unsure when it comes to which remote controls which and AV inputs etc...I'm sure you've all been there...anyway I've decided to buy a Harmony to set up "activities" etc.
    Which model should I go for at a price which won't break the bank, can control at least 5 devices, has a wide range of devices it can control and is nice to handle with decent sized buttons?
    Any suggestions welcome.

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    All models use the same software, so any will do everything you want.

That just leaves usability and build quality. The Harmony One seems to offer the best all-round compromise for the money.
    The 525/555 doesn't feel that good to use, the 885 has small buttons. Not tried a 6 or 7 series.

3. Hooblue

Hooblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'd agree with Clockworks in that the choices depend on what your after reall. I was recently in the same situation as you. I just wanted a universal remote that would do the job and wouldn't set me back a bundle, especially as it was my first universal remote.

I went in the end for the 525. Sure the build quality isn't as good as the One, but it costs just over a third of the price! Currently the 525 does everything I want, and if in the future I want to upgrade then I can use the 525 for the bedroom. I wasn't sure if a Harmony would suit me so thought the 525 would be a risk free purchase.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    Yes, the 525 is a good start and the natural transfer is to a One later on - that's the way I did it. :D

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,567
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Just ordered the 555 from misco.co.uk...£51.54 with the lite 3 day delivery option.