which harmony? & drop test?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by rozz, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rozz

rozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi,
    i am looking at replacing clutter of remotes with a harmony,toss up between the one ,900 or the 1100 which is on offer with extender.i am open to other brands of remotes,just that harmonys seem to be the most popular.
    a couple of questions :
    will i be able to use all of the original remote functions? if yes then will it be more of a pain than the original remote?
    has anyone dropped their harmony & how did it hold up?
    you know what it's like get up of the chair & bang,what was that ooopps it was the remote.
    thanks for any replies in advance

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Do you need the RF/IR/RF facilities of these two models, that add so much to their prices?
    If not then any model would be fine for you and the answers to your couple;) of questions are in any case:
    Yes, all the commands - No, it'll be easier - Mine have all been dropped on the carpet with no problem!

3. rozz

rozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    no i probably will not need rf,but the 1100 is only £239 with rf or £359 without.i do not see any red green blue & yellow buttons only on the 900.i use a dm800hd which makes use of these buttons quite often.so in order to use viera cast,sdhc & viera tools on the panny am i right in thinking i would have to go into sub pages or screens,which would mean 2,3,4 button presses or screens to find the right one.which kind of defeats the object of a universal remote as it would be quicker to pick up & use the original remote.is there any other remotes on the market that i should be looking at.one that would display all the buttons of the original remote on a touchscreen would be fantastic.is there such a beast?

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    The prices on the Logitech web site are £239 for the 1100 and £259 for the 900, both with their IR/RF/IR Extenders, but you'd find much better prices by shopping around the internet in the usual way.
    Some of the basic commands such as volume and channel change are on hard buttons on the 1100, but it's essentially a touch screen model so all the other commands appear on the screen, and the colour commands in particular are always there without any need for scrolling from page to page.
    As you don't need the IR extendability though, any other model would be suitable, especially the One.
    With all models you get to assign commands if you wish to any button, or screen position, of your choice.

5. SteveAtmos

SteveAtmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Coming from the harmony one on which the screen died, I decided to go with the 900.

My main frustration with the one was not having the 4 coloured buttons, although I did program them as touch screen buttons but it wasn't quite as good as hard buttons.

I considered the 1100 but on reviews it seems the battery lasts only a day or so whilst the one I could leave for a week without charging.

Also the 1100 being touch screen, you need to look at what your doing when using the remote, and it seems to need 2 hands to operate more often than not.

The RF with the 900 I didn't need and haven't set it up, but may one in handy in the future.

One thing to consider is that the 900 can't do sequences, whilst the others can. That is very frustrating as I used to have a button for planner on sky box which was very handy.

Pros and cons considered i think the 900 is the obvious choice.

6. SteveAtmos

SteveAtmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to add I'd had the One remote for over 3 years, and it's been dropped onto a hard floor a good few times, without a problem.

Not sure why the screen died and out of warranty so couldn't be repaired.

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    It is IF you need or want RF/IR/RF, otherwise it's a very expensive way of getting four tiny buttons with colours on them.;)
    Harmonys don't get repaired, though Logitech will usually replace them, or give a discount on a new one if they're very old.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. rozz

rozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for the replies
    going for the 1100,going to search for icons for channels
    thanks again

9. logiciel

logiciel