Which Harmony (555, 785, 885) given my needs?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by DECKARD71, Sep 7, 2007.

1. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hi all

I'm about to purchase an universal remote control. My candidates are:

- Logitech Harmony 555 (around 70€)
    - Logitech Harmony 785 (around 140€)
    - Logitech Harmony 885 (around 150€)

I always look for the best value (in this case the 555), but this time I have more doubts.... mainly due to activities management. I will use the following activities:

1. Watch TV
    2. Listen to music
    3. Watch DVD on CRT
    4. Watch DVD on projector
    5. Watch/Listen HDD Media player
    6. Play Wii on CRT
    7. Play Wii on projector

(#2 and #3 may be redundant as I play the CD on the same DVD player, but at least I'll use 6 activities)

I guess that the more activities the remote control can handle, the better, but my question is if to have 6 activities (785) instead of 4 (555) justifies the extra 70€, apart from the attractive colourful LCD and charging dock .

Does anyone miss more activities in his remote control? Is it very painful to do thing out of the programmed activities? does it take very long to play devices one by one when you do not have the activity button available?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices!!

2. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi, welcome to the forums!

Are you sure that the Harmony 555 only does 4 activities? I have the Harmony 525 (a step down from the 555) and I have about 10 activities programmed on to it.

It is a bit of a pain programming the remote control to start with, but once it's done it's really worth it! Much easier than having a box full of remotes!

Hope this helps

Jezzer

3. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119

Thanks a lot jeezer!!! The 525/555 can have 10 activities?? So one thing is the number of activities and a different one is the number of activity direct buttons.. Am I right? If they can manage 10 activities, I will definetely go for the 555. How can you reach the activities with no button assigned?

Thanks again

4. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Activity Direct Buttons are the number of physical buttons on the remote! On my 525 the screen shows 4 activities, then I can select 'right' and it will move on to the next 4. Each activity showing has its button to the side of it, which I can press when I have found the activity I want.

I would get the 525 mate, its cheaper than the 555 and not really any different in spec!

Cheers

Jezzer

5. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    All Harmonys can have up to 255 activities. They are listed over multiple pages if required...extra pages are accessed using the navigation buttons below the screen.

6. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Pretty clear! Thanks for clarifying the Activities matter. I've just ordered the 555 in Pixmania. I think that the 555 is the best value for money. I hope the IR transmission is strong enough (i do not have all devices together...) but I guess the IR power is the same in all harmony models

Cheers and thanks again!!

7. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    so there's no difference between the 555 and the 525 aside from styling and 12 vs 15 devices?

8. DECKARD71

DECKARD71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The 555 has 2 extra buttons (sound and picture) and many users assure that it is better built and has longer life(I do not know). The point is that the stores use to have 525 or 555, but few times both. For that reason is very easy to find the 555 at better price than 525, as is my case in Spain.

Cheers