Which hardware needs replacing?

n34m3s1s

Standard Member
ey hows it going everyone?

Basically heres the problem: i have a ps3 to repair, its not reading ANY form of disc. I tried cleaning the laser - didnt work , went into recovery console selected 3rd option - restore system files - didnt work aswell but the recovery console reported that hard drive filing system is corrupted.

Now since that moment i have tried several things - full restore, full format (using ps3) , format (using my pc) nothing seems to solve the hard drive corruption. Every time i run the recovery console it tells me its corrupted.

My question is the following - can the hard drive be responsible for not reading any discs? Im about to purchase a replacement laser assembly and i dont really want to end up with 2 perfectly fine lasers :thumbsdow

I have been a permanent resident of google for the past week:boring:, with no success, so i am counting on you guys - any help will be apreciated!!!
:lease:
Thnaks for your time,

Arthur S.

thesaint02

I don't think the corruption message is actually a real fault.

I have the same fault with my friends PS3, and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I have done everything you have done, which includes putting in a new laser, and no joy.

Nakatsu_Hime

I don't think an HDD issue could translate to the BD-drive not recognising discs. Usually, the worst botched firmware updates do is stop the drive from recognising specific discs (games or Blu-Ray movies).

As you say it's not recognising ANY disc format, then I'd put my money on a laser carriage issue, or a problem with the disc detection sensor (of which there must be one somewhere).

jimmy_garrincha

Standard Member
I don't think the corruption message is actually a real fault.

I have the same fault with my friends PS3, and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I have done everything you have done, which includes putting in a new laser, and no joy.
I had a problem siilar to yours and I would suggest that the new laser you bought was crap :( I learned the hard way that the only safe method of replacing a bluray drive was by buying an entire new unit and swapping over the logic boards.

thesaint02

I had a problem siilar to yours and I would suggest that the new laser you bought was crap :( I learned the hard way that the only safe method of replacing a bluray drive was by buying an entire new unit and swapping over the logic boards.
I put in a fully working unit from another console, and it still did not work.
So it wasn't the laser or the Blu Ray drive.

Dazbobaby

Novice Member
I have the same problem with one I bought off ebay. I have a good blu ray drive from a previous YLOD phat, but that still doesn't work. The only thing it can be is a faulty motherboard, or cable.
I'm not bothered about mine as I knew it was faulty and I only use it to play PSN games and as a media centre.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom