Which Hard Drive To Buy For Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2 (MKV) Media Player?

Poordeadking

Standard Member
Hi guys, hope someone can help.

I've just ordered the Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2 MKV Media Player and was wondering what Hard Drive to buy for it.

I've read that drives without their own power source can cause problems, and also that the drive should be formatted in a particular way, NTFS or FAT.

Unfortunately, the Amazon and Sumvision product specifications aren't especially clear on the first issue and I personally don't understand the second.

Is formatting it to NTFS or FAT something I can do, or is this an irreversible condition at the time of purchase .

I'm happy to buy an external HD with a plug-in power source, and was wondering of anyone has any recommendations. Anything over 300gb is cool.

This one looked ideal, 'cause it's cheap, small and available on the high street, but I'm worried that the lack of a power source may cause problems.

Buy Western Digital 320GB Portable Hard Drive at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Portable hard drives.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

£40 for 320GB is hardly cheap. For a little bit more you can get twice the space.

640GB Intenso 2.5" USB 2.0 External HDD Black - Retail - Aria Technology

or

Intenso 640GB 2.5" Memory Station - Portable Hard.. | Ebuyer.com

The issue about the power supply isn't really that important. USB is a standard. Your box should be able to provide enough power. You may find that some disks, usually bigger ones, come with a cable with two USB heads. That's to get more power into the beasts. If so, an external power supply might help.

Here's a page with reviews from people who have tried just what you want:

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2 Multi Media MKV Player Adaptor | Ebuyer.com

Extra power not needed. That is, if you go for 2.5-inch externals. 3.5-inch takes you into new territory.

I have used Western Digital and Samsung disks portable. The latter are better. The WD started playing up (not detected in Windows) and gets scratched easily. The Samsung comes with a fake leather case.

The formatting depends on the Sumvision box. It seems that it can read NTFS. which is good because you aren't limited to small (<4GB) video files.

The disk is likely to be FAT formatted, but it is easy to change that as soon as you get it. If it is important to you, copy off any software on the disk before you format it.

Poordeadking

Standard Member
Thanks very much for your help, mate. I really appreciate it.

The real reason I'm considering the 320gb drive is that it's available in Argos, which is just down the road from me. I kinda need to buy the drive today, 'cause the Sumvision media player is due to arrive any minute with Amazon Express Delivery.

It's a gift for my father-in-law, so I'm limited in that I can't really order online and await delivery. My stupid fault for leaving it so late.

More memory would be great, and I kinda resent paying £40 for just 320GB, but needs must. That said, the fact that you've more-than-adequately explained the USB/Power thing means my range of options 'on the high street' just became clearer and wider.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Poordeadking

Standard Member
I bought a 1TB Western Digital Elements drive from Tesco for £49.99, seems like a good deal, especially given the fact that I was going to pay £40 for 320GB.

Again, thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom