1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which hard disk mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Wheels496, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Wheels496

Wheels496
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazingly PC World offered me my money back on a 40GB creative Zen jukebox extra. It had a faulty socket and the guarantee expires today. Anyway, I obviously took them up on their offer-I now can purchase a newer player-but which 1?

My requirements-in order of necessity:-

20GB capacity +
    MP3 compatibility
    Able to purchase and install batteries myself (don't like the idea of having to send the unit back to the manufacturer-there again the batteries should last years?)

(The following are preferable but not essential)
    would prefer to manage the player directly through Windows explorer instead of propriety software
    fairly rugged-I'm physically disabled with coordination problems-I'll not drop it daily but accidents happen
    fairly easy to physically operate (my coordination isn't brilliant)

Finally are there any players with built in radios (not in line-cables I'll break eventually)?

Thanks

2. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think U should check out the iRiver H140 [40GB] or H120 [20GB]. Shouldn't need to replace the battery for years but that may mean fiddling with a screwdriver to take it apart. Worry about that should the need ever arise. The case that comes with it is quite bulky, but that's good if like mine it has been dropped once or twice. I also have an iSkin but that will not give the same level of protection if dropped, it's good for scratch protection though.

It has an FM radio but I haven't used mine yet and as I use Koss KSC-35 headphones I don't know what it sounds like without the original phones [which is the FM antenna as well]. There is a detachable LCD remote that plugs in-line between the phones and the unit, but its optional as all controls can be used on the main unit.

Some people say they don't like the joystick system on it. Personally I picked up what I needed in a few minutes, but U should try and get to an outlet that has them on display as only U can tell if its suitable.

I can't vouch for other players as I've only ever tried a 4G iPod as an alternative [which incidentally I didn't like].

3. weremog

weremog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll vouch for the iRiver iHP120 - brilliant sound quality and it can play MP3, WMA and OGG. Simple Windows based file management i.e. copy and paste from your music on your pc to a corresponding file/folder structure on your player. No poncing around with player specific software.

One charge on the battery will last in excess of 8-10 hours probably more, although I've never tried that in one sitting!

The supplied headphones are ok but I uprated mine to Sennheiser PX200's and haven't looked back.

4. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More than happy with my iriver H120. had it perhaps 9 months now; no problems at all and never had to reset (unlike my wife's one month old ipod) . Windows drag and drop is so easy and I keep backups of all the photos/ docs from ouir household PC on it. You can't view them but can easily transfer them between Pcs. I think therre's probably a photo iriver now which I might investigate in a few months. (Just bought a huge LCD TV and Pure Digital Bug so my gadget quota is fairly sated at the moment!!)

Radio's not bad on it and the line/optical in and direct MP3 encoding is good.

5. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can Vouch for the iRiver too. Got the H320 - colour screen and excellent music quality. Not the best navigation but can't have everything. Line out socket too to hook up to car stereo or for a hifi system.

Dave

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Oh go on then, as everybody else is recommending the iRiver I will add my name to the list :D

I bought the iHP-120 about 18 months ago and am more than happy with it. I compared it to most of the other MP3 players at the time and found it had the best sound quality and definately the best conectivity. I use my player at work when on shift and the battery lasts the whole 12+ hours.

Mark.