Which Hard Disk Camcorder?

TheDevil2004

Standard Member
Hi there

I am in the process of looking to buy a hard disk camcorder and I cannot make up my mind, I have listened to the advice in stores and was hoping that a few others on here would give their advice.

I have looked at a few but whenever I read a review somewhere I am put off by one thing or another, I have been looking at the JVC Everio range and was just wondering what you think of them I have a budget of £400 - £550 (max).

The camera is only for home/personal use, however, I like to get value for money, It must have a widescreen LCD and 30gb disk and the files that are saved must be saved in a format that can easily be edited on a home PC, regarding optical zoom and digital zoom I am open to some advice regarding this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

O

omega2

Moviebuff

TheDevil2004 said:
Hi there

The camera is only for home/personal use, however, I like to get value for money, It must have a widescreen LCD and 30gb disk and the files that are saved must be saved in a format that can easily be edited on a home PC, regarding optical zoom and digital zoom I am open to some advice regarding this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
HDD type camcorders generally use MPEG2 as their compression format, which makes editing a harder task by far, then using the AVi format of miniDV.

TheDevil2004

Standard Member
Yes the Sony do look good, however, the touch sensitive screen puts me off. Im such a weirdo when it comes to my gadgets, they have to be nice and clean and sticky fingers on the LCD screen will drive me nuts.

rickyt

Dont waste your money on a HDD or DVD camcorder . Read some of the posts regarding problems with these things .Stick to MiniDV .Best by far.

I just know I've rattled a few cages :)

rhubarbe

Banned
Moviebuff said:
HDD type camcorders generally use MPEG2 as their compression format, which makes editing a harder task by far, then using the AVi format of miniDV.
Well, it depends what you mean by editing. if you mean just cutting bits out, rearranging clips order and then assembling the whole lot again in a single mpeg2 file, then VideoReDo will sort it out like falling off a log.

If OTOH you mean all the airy fairy fades and swirly pretty bits then well, you may have a point. :D

Moviebuff

rickyt said:
Dont waste your money on a HDD or DVD camcorder . Read some of the posts regarding problems with these things .Stick to MiniDV .Best by far.

I just know I've rattled a few cages :)

I have a JVC MG505 - and the results are superb. Transfer time to PC is far quicker than MiniDV, so much so, that I dare say I would have burnt my video to DVD before you've loaded it over!

It may not be a mature medium for camcorders at the moment, but it is still more than useable in it's current state.

redsox_mark

Novice Member
The MG505 is at the high end of the current HDD range, and reviews confirm it gives excellent quality. But it does cost around £700, same as the HD Sony HC3.

True that editing DV-AVI is "easier" - due to the intra-frame compression. But MPEG editing support has been improving, and editing MPEG is the future - at least the near future - with SD HDD cams using it, as well as HD cams.

Where DV (or HDV) still wins out, for me, is in value for money. For a given price point generally DV cams still give better quality. Something like a Panny GS300 or a Sony HC96 will give better results than a Everio in the price range the OP mentioned (£400-£550).

There is a tradeoff of money, convienence, and quality.

Moviebuff

redsox_mark said:
The MG505 is at the high end of the current HDD range, and reviews confirm it gives excellent quality. But it does cost around £700, same as the HD Sony HC3.

True that editing DV-AVI is "easier" - due to the intra-frame compression. But MPEG editing support has been improving, and editing MPEG is the future - at least the near future - with SD HDD cams using it, as well as HD cams.

Where DV (or HDV) still wins out, for me, is in value for money. For a given price point generally DV cams still give better quality. Something like a Panny GS300 or a Sony HC96 will give better results than a Everio in the price range the OP mentioned (£400-£550).

There is a tradeoff of money, convienence, and quality.

Agreed.

kenfowler3966

We went through 2 minidv camcorders in succession, each time getting a refund under the sale of goods act,(through argos, they seem to be up on consumer law) so I had the £600 from the original budget camcorder to invest and went for the jvc everio with the 20gb drive.

The main requirement was ease of use, and this has been achieved. Working with files in a menu is so much easier than winding through tape looking for a scene. Quality is about the same as I achieved with minidv. Took it on holiday and the whole recording fitted on the hard drive at best quality. Had a second battery but never actually needed it as I never used it for more than an hour at a time.
Only issue was visibility of the lcd screen in brght sunlight, as no viewfinder.

The camera is small and light and easy to use for the less technically able.

I initially tried the software that comes with the camera, however it requires a modified version of powerdvd 5 to play the files, but this only has stereo sound and overwrote my full vesion of the same program, so I doing without this.
Initially used the basic software for editing the .mod files, but then found I could use my own better software after renaming the file extension to jpg, with a freeware bulh renaming programme.

Much easier to view the files on a tv via the supplied leads, and as editing on the computer is so time consuming I copied all the recording to my stand alone dvd recorder and produced dvd,s of required scenes using playlists, which was relatively quick and easy.

Top Bottom