1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Handheld? Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by oxygenuk, Mar 14, 2005.

?
  1. Nintendo DS

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Sony PSP

31 vote(s)
    58.5%
  3. Both

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As most of ya may know nintendo ds has been out a few days with the sony psp following later this month which one are u going to be buying, i personally am going for the nintendo ds, 1 reason, pure innovation, innovation is what drives new stuff forward :) so im going for the ds, what about u guys?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I agree with your view about the DS being inovative, but there is definately a lack of innovative games out for it. I would say the best one by far is "wario ware" it uses the stylus/touch screen better than anything ive ever seen. However, graphicaly speaking it could have been done on a less powerfull system which shows that its not always about power!

The PSP is basically a PS2. So not much else to say there. Although I have noticed that a lot of the PSP games seem to have more game play and game time than PS2 games. Hard to explaing, but i been spending more time on my PSP than my PS2!

Both are excelent systems and good for different reasons. I say get em both!

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Personally i'd go for the PSP. My main reasons are :

- More powerful therefore allowing a wider range of titles to be done better - i.e. fast realistic driving games. Note that I don't say that more power = better games, simply that the likes of Ridge Racers, GT4 etc can be done better on a system with more power.

- The Multimedia aspects - the PSP can do so much more in terms of watching movies, listening to music etc. The DS is really just a games machine.

- Bigger screen! Yes the DS has two screens but how many games will really make full use of this? I can see the dual touch screen functionality of the DS ending up as more of a gimmick - i.e. somewhere to show a map or inventory, instead of using pause. The PSP has a nice big 4.3" wide screen that is superb for a handheld & should allow the unit to comfortably display more than the usual simple 2D games that we have come to associate with handhelds.

I do think it's brave to go for the innovative path that Nintendo have chosen and I do hope that it comes off for them and doesn't end up being seen as just a gimmick. I also love the clamshell design of the DS as it means that you don't need to splash out on an extra case.

For me though i'd much rather have a PSP. :thumbsup:

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Simply:

If money were no object - both
    Realistically - PSP (already ordered mine)

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    I've had a DS for a couple of months now.

I only ever play GBA games on it. The range of games at launch is appalling.

The console desperately needs something with the quality of Advance Wars (yes I know Advance Wars DS is in deveopment) or Fire Emblem, or it WILL lose to the PSP.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I'll probably go for the PSP, simply because I've got loads of Gameboys (original GB; GBA & GBA SP) lying around the house - I think it's time to invest in a new handheld!

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I guess Nintendo consoles have always struggled with getting the volume of games (especially from 3rd party developers). The gameboy has previously had the handheld market almost to itself so I guess 3rd party devs haven't had another handheld to favour as of yet. Sony have proved masters of securing 3rd party software rights and we could see a situation similar to the launch of the Playstation here! This time they have the already secure Playstation Brand behind them as well! The future of Nintendo handhelds does look rather ominous as things stand.

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Gizmondo!! :p :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kidding :D

Seriously, I'll probably just make do with the PSP. Not dissing the Nintendo DS but it just doesn't appeal to me.

S.

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I must admit I'm getting very tempted by the DS now I've seen it running and had a go, but I may only be able to afford one of the two, and for me its got to be the PSP. Being able to run media files is a big plus for me, and the games look more my cup of tea.

10. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that one mate, i'd say more August/September time for the PSP. But of course i could be wrong.

11. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Well, a bit pessimistic maybe, but if it comes out here in March I'll support Man U. Now, do I wait a few months for the more expensive UK PSP, or buy a US one in 2 weeks for less money? Hmmm, tough choice. ;)

12. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Exciting times for handhelds, whichever one chooses. Perhaps a 'Handheld Gaming' section should be created now - to differentiate from 'Console Gaming'. Moderators.....what say you?

13. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im gonna get the DS, reason? well to me all the PSP is getting is pstwo ports.. i mean whats the point at the moment.

if i want to play pstwo games then i would play them on a PStwo at least the ds has some original games out for it.

unti lthe psp gets games which are ORIGINAL then its a no no for me.

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    *Gets on phone to friendly Sony rep to tell them to ship next week* :devil:
    We already have one. But stupidly its called the Mobile Gaming Forum :mad:

15. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Its because its getting PS2 ports that I want one - its made to be portable, so you don't have to carry your PS2 and a TV around with you. And then theres nowhere to plug in your TV on public transport.

You could of course do this, but call me lazy I might just buy a PSP instead. Plus theres a new Wipeout :clap: I'm happy!

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I must admit that the Gizmondo does look OK but is anyone going to actually buy something called the "Gizmondo"!!! Well apart from maybe "Mr 50 yard shot" Giz of PES4 fame that is :D .

The release date for the Giz isn't 1st April by any chance is it? Although they seem to have gone to far much effort with it for it to be a wind up.

There does seem to be a clear winner emerging amongst AVForum members as to which one to go for. But then again i'd say that most AVF members are adults so that's not really a suprising statistic. I do think that the DS will do well in the school playground though and kids will love the wireless message features.

17. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    I have just played the new Metal Gear on a PSP from someone at work and im blown away by the quality.

He has a second gen PSP with the Samsung screen, the picture output is fantastic.

Still undecided about getting a PSP or DS.

The lucky Sod has both!

Dal

18. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would love to see a second gen samsung screen psp against a first gen sharp one

then we will know what the difference really is

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I can't personally imagine there being any difference as all models will have to be made to the same spec. Both are good manufacturers and I can't see Samsung making an inferior screen to Sharp.

20. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    cant comment on the Hitachi. But the Samsung screen i used this morning was fantastic quality!

21. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i cant comment on the games for either as i only have ridge racer for my PSP and i have only had a quick blast on a DS and im no fan of nintendo anyway so im far from impartial.i bought a PSP last week and quite frankly it blew me away.i had a go at my mates DS and the build quality isnt upto the standards of a PSP i will tell you that,i understand the console will be twice the price etc but when you hold it in your hand and look at the screen and feel the quality you will know where that extra cash has gone.

games wise,well im no fan of nintendo so your not gonna get a fair review of me really so its upto yourself if you wanna buy the DS then you know what to expect and the same goes for the PSP.one more comment though,i couldnt believe how big the DS is for the size screens etc it really is a chunky bugger considering the comments about the size of the PSP when the first pics and specs where released.

i was hoping the DS would do something to change my point of view this time,after owning 2 versions of a gameboy and not liking either and owning a cube for a week before swapping it for a xbox but NO its the lineup i would have expected wario,mario,yoshi and a couple of quirky ones.

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That's the only problem I have with Nintendo. I expect GT 9,540 on the PS7, but with Nintendo, you expect them to innovate. Mario 10 or whatever incarnation, and mario kart 6, is just Nintendo going down the same road as everyone else. They are the BBC of the gaming world, and they are badly losing their way. I love pikmin and feel that is the only thing nintendo have done differently to everyone else this time.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Yes good points and this is something that has only really hit me with the current Nintendo Generation. With the N64 you had Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark & the 3D Zelda games. All of these were pretty amazing & revolutionary at the time. I felt that 3D gaming really arrived with the N64 and gaming moved forward in a similar way that it did when Mode 7 games came out on the SNES.

With the GameCube all I feel is that we have had the same stuff from the N64 but with better graphics. They tried cartoon graphics to try & make Zelda look different but it still just played & seemed like one of the N64 games. SMS was just a poor version of Mario 64. Mario Kart DD was a great game & is my fave Mario Kart game but even with the 2 people in the Kart it still felt a bit like....we've been here before. SMB was fun and pretty original & I felt that F-Zero GX moved that game forward well. I also think that RE4 is a superb game, but it's not really that innovative.

It's a tough one as on one hand there have been some fantastic games on the GC but probably the least innovation that I can remember. Maybe that is why they seem so intent on coming out with some really innovative features for the Revolution.

I don't really think that this is all Nintendo's fault though. There were huge technological differences between the NES and the SNES with the advent of 16 bit and Mode 7 meaning that loads of new game styles were possible such as psudo 3D racers ala Mario Kart, near arcade perfect conversions like SF2 and solid 3D graphics with Star Fox. There was another huge leap with the N64 as the gamer was plunged into 3D worlds with the freedom to roam where he/she wanted in games like Mario 64, Zelda OOT & MM and Goldeneye. With the current generation nothing has really improved apart from polygon counts. We are still playing the same (albeit more attractive and smoother) 3D style games. MK64 is very similar to MKDD. Mario 64 is very similar to SMS and Zelda: The windwaker is only removed from OOT & MM by graphical style.

I do feel that they have tried to innovate with the party games & Donky Kongo but it's becoming harder & harder. They have been brave with the DS going with innovation (touch screen & microphone) over power so we'll see how that pans out. I'm also very much looking forward to seeing what they do with the Revolution as I guess we all already have an idea of what we're gonna get from Sony & M$.

24. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i believe the only company that has been innovative is nintendo they have taken risks i personal feel that next generation we wont have much innovative games as i can bet that the smaller dev wont be able to afford to make games on the next coming consoles which means they gonna have to move onto the handheld sector.

also publisher's dont want innovation im afraid as they wont give or willing to take a chance. hopefully the first / sencond party stuff from all three will at least try and innovative gameplay.

but i see nintendo pushing the gameplay while the other two are more graphics.... graphics and can only last so long and its not gonna hide the horrible gameplay... *looks at EA* oh also ive noticed EA started to add more commericial music to its games to hide its awful gameplay..... i hope 1 day EA will end up at the bottom... ohh. westwood studio we miss you and many others :rolleyes:

25. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    why is it people moan about nintendo making a franchise from some thing ?
    sure we had mario kart, then mk64,, mkss now mkdd
    but didnt sony have gt1, gt2, gt3, gt4p and gt4 ?
    ninty: Zelda series, mario party series, fzero etc
    sony: GTA series, tekken series, wipeout etc
    they even tried to rival the mario series with that Crap Bandicoot and spyro the dragon rubbish.
    Where nintendo went for quality gaming, sony went for the nicer look but that doesnt last forever.
    Not forgetting one thing, nintendo still have the bigger market in japan, where it actualy matters!, why cant the british be more like the japs and welcome new ideas rather than think, ooo its a gimmik ive never seen before, i dont like it and will never try it. pathetic if you ask me

and back to the original topic.
    Im voting for neither. The PSP is way to big and overpriced and the DS is far too ugly, they are both fantastic machines dont get me wrong, but the GB2 will blow them both out the water when its revealed later tis year :p

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    The next machine in the Gameboy family will take quite some time to come out. They have only just released the DS so to release another handheld within the next year or two would be counterproductive to their DS sales. You will generally hear of & see the unit a good 9 months to a year before it hits the shops (remember the early DS & PSP shots around this time last year).

So back on topic - i've just ordered my PSP from DVD Soon so I guess i've voted with my wallet. £146 delivered for a PSP, Ridge Racers, 2 DVD's and the Fidelity iCard memership. RR was ordered separately. Even if I get hit for the £30 ish customs then that's superb value IMO. :thumbsup:

27. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I was hoping it would be nearer May :(

28. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Had to vote PSP, as I already have one and it is a new handheld on the market (at long last) but will get a DS eventually (I love mario kart and zelda too much not to get one :) )

tris

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Is this just me, but the PSP screen seems to be quite dark even on the brightest settings!?! My GBA SP’s backlight is a lot brighter. Anyone have any opinions?

30. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Ah, well, unfortunately all this pessimism about Sony not being able to meet a March release date has proved true, the PSP has been delayed in UK by "several months".