Which guitar model do you like best?

Tufty McTavish

I've been playing with the new Stratocaster RB guitar today and I absolutely love it!

When I upgraded from the GH2 Xplorer to the GH3 Les Paul I had a bit of trouble getting comfortable with the Les Paul which dug into the side of my right arm. I quickly got over this and found that I vastly preferred the Les Paul to the Xplorer. Wireless helped, sure, but I just preferred the feel of the Les Paul. Plus the whammy bar was much more solid. The only problem is the detachable neck means the GH3 Les Paul is unreliable. Mine has worn to the point where I can't use it anymore, until I mod it, so I had to go back to the Xplorer for a while. I know for sure I prefer the Les Paul now! I'll keep the Xplorers as backups only.

But now I'm whizzing away with the wired Strat that came with my BiaB RB. It looks the part, feels solid and weighty, and it's large too, which I really, really like. I'm more of a guitar around my knees player but I had to adjust the strap a little for this baby. The fret buttons make a little more noise than I was expecting but they're new and haven't bedded in yet I would imagine. I've yet to try the solo buttons near the body of the guitar. I do find I'm flicking the effects switch when I try to locate the whammy bar, but that'll come with familiarity.

Overall I'm massively pleased with it, based upon first impressions. Just the size alone is more to my liking. I am definitely upgrading to a wireless version.

I don't mind upgrading my instruments when newer, better models arrive. I do object to the lack of interoperability between RB and GH3 (as discussed elsewhere) but tsk, tsk to Activision on that front since GH guitars work fine in Xbox360 RB. For me this feels like an upgrade I'm interested in. Hopefully these first impressions will last.

It's a shame we haven't seen more custom models on the market. Was it MadCatz that produced something, but it looked really awful and I wasn't at all interested in that. I'd definitely be willing to spend some extra £££s on a real quality model that was less toy.

Which guitars do you like and why?

paxton

As per my comment in the Play & Help thread, I'm not liking the Strat at the moment. I'm surprised you find it weighty, cos I find it exactly the opposite - very lightweight and almost flimsy compared to the Les Paul.

When I first played it just now, I thought the guiter was dreadful, cos the buttons felt too "squidgy" and I was missing loads of notes when I didn't think I was. A quick visit to the calibration screen soon sorted this out - I originally set it to "plasma" and this was no good, so I manually did it and the guitar feels much better - although still lightweight.

But I do agree that it took a while to get used to the Les Paul after using the X-Plorer, so I'll reserve serious judgement for a few days.

ROBIN50N

does the gh3 guitar work with rockband?

T

theBeatle

Got BiaB yesterday, only played a few songs with the strat and didnt like it, and missed notes i normally wouldnt. Buttons are too wide apart for my liking (and i dont have small hands!) and squidgy. The Xplorer is much preferred at this stage. May change my mind over weekend when I give it a good run for its money. but so far its a :thumbsdow

Orca

I think the Strat is pretty good, although the buttons take some getting used to. Coming from the PS2 guitars, I've always hated the plastic strum noise, of which the Strat hardly has :thumbsup:

edwardtickle

I started off by using the strat on Orange Crush on hard, and only got 100,000 points on it. So i tried the Les Paul and got 140,000, and found it a lot easier, so i am sticking with that at the moment.

Mattk84

Banned
i prefer strumming with this new guitar as it has that extra realism but i too am missing many notes that i normally wouldnt.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I actually like the new strat, yes it will take some getting used to, espeshilly the non raised frets.

i like the fact the strummer is quiet. and you dont have to whack it hard to get a note.

only after about 10 songs did i remember the higher frets.

playing a solo with them is good, but again will take getting used to. you dont have to strum using the hight frets on solos.

I think i'll get a wireless one in time.

ilikebbws

Standard Member
My personal fave is the X-Plorer. Both the buttons and strummer work the best out of the three guitars, for me.

Chrispyphillips

Hmm, well, I was massively looking forward to the strat, and whereas I cant say i'm 'dissappointed', I'm not entirely sold! I'm using it for Rock Band so I get used to it, but it does feel quite light, and the fret buttons male a terrible click when you press them, which makes it feel more ike a toy in my mind! Plus, the whammy bar is attrocious. Thats easily the worst of it!

I tried playing a few songs using only the higher fret buttons, and am getting used to them, but switching between them is hard! Its gonna take some time, but it has potential! If only the whammy bar wasnt so flimsy, I'm really unimpressed with that!

Tufty McTavish

After a lot more hours on guitar, I can agree about the buttons, and I definitely struggle with the whammy bar. I'm also forever flipping the effects mode switch when I attempt to locate the whammy bar. The two interfere and I end up thinking about that at key moments. As a result I tend not to whammy as much as I might.

I'm also finding that, like the Xplorer guitar from GH2, I really have to stick the neck of the Strat right up in the air to trigger Star Power/Overdrive/whatever it's called this time. This was much easier on the Les Paul with a quick jerk and away we go. I'm finding it takes me longer to find that sweet spot with the Strat, I have to contort my body more, and I'm losing accuracy when I'm trying. So I've started trying to use the Start/Back button, whatever's closest to the strum bar, but this is like learning to play as I can't strum and tweak the button with my pinkie quite yet - I have to wait for an appropriate moment, usually just as more Star Power/Energy arrives and I end up overflowing the SP capacitor.

But I still absolutely love the new guitar. It feels right to me, sits nice, it's large - something I especially like actually - and I think I'm going to keep using it. I've yet to try the high fret buttons other than twiddling away during a loading screen.

artefx

Standard Member
I have to agree that it feels a bit flimsy. When im playing on my own i tend to sit down with the guitar resting against my stomach. In this position it constantly feels like im gonna snap the thing in two. I've gone to plaing it standing up as i dont wanna break the thing!

Slyboy

I'm giving the new guitar a bit of time before I make my final judgement. I agree with all the posts about the whammy bar and strum bar. I dont mid the frets at all, but its the squidgyness of the strum bar that does me, meaning I miss notes I dont on my GH3 guitar. Like I said, still sticking with it in the time being, however not 100% convinced yet...

Smudge Mouse

For me I like it better then the old Xplorer and definitely over of the Les Paul (I was never convinced whether the missed notes were due to me, or the wonky design). I don't mind the lightweightedness, and the strut helps me more accurately play the rhythm sections of the songs.

As others have pointed it, the fret buttons are a bit loud, and I am concerned about the build quality. There is an disconcerning rattle inside it, and also a springy sound if I shake it. So far it's not causing me any problems :rolleyes:

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I have that in mine, and a friend does too. So perhaps it's a 'feature'.

Mine too, i thought it was the tilt sensor.

Don't all the guitars have it???

Smudge Mouse

I have that in mine, and a friend does too. So perhaps it's a 'feature'.

I guess that makes me feel a little better :rotfl:

One thing that did concern me, which I never noticed before was fast up/down strumming. When the beat gets above a certain tempo it just doesn't seem to strut consistent enough and I end up almost failing the song. I'm ok with expert on GH and this was hard. The only solution I found was to just single strum away.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I get a click at a certain point if I tilt it, so I asumed I't was the tilt sensor

BraveTyger

There is an disconcerning rattle inside it, and also a springy sound if I shake it. So far it's not causing me any problems :rolleyes:

I too get a rattle and sproingy noise from inside my plastic Fender - as other posters have suggested, i think it's the tilt sensor and not a 'fault' as such.

I guess that - after reading about hardware faults for the last 6 months - i'm just hyper-aware of possible problems with the Rock Band kit. Yes, i'm looking at you, possibly intermittent red drum pad... :rolleyes:

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
hi everyone

im about to get rock band , but im undecided on which guitar to get out of the gh3 gibson les paul or the rock band fender?

ive heard the gibson can have problems with registering buttons after a while because of the detachable neck, and my brother had a problem with button presses not registering after a while?

i know the fender is slightly more expensive but would you say the fender is the best bet?

cheers:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022