Which Guitar game?

ham_rye

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently managed to not spend my entire wage for the first month in my working life, and am going to treat myself by spending some of the next lot (ontop of my speeding fine :rolleyes:). Feel free to question my logic there, but also please help with my query which follows.

I want to jump on the GH / RB guitar based game, band-wagon (horribly tedious pun not intended).

Which game is it best to buy as my first venture into this genre?

Please feel free to recomend sellers and prices as I'm looking for value for money. I don't mind buying an out-of-date game, provided the guitar which comes with it (another key point: must come with guitar) is compatible with other games if I chose to make further purchases, and the songs are good.

Thanks for your help.

I recently managed to not spend my entire wage for the first month in my working life, and am going to treat myself by spending some of the next lot (ontop of my speeding fine :rolleyes:). Feel free to question my logic there, but also please help with my query which follows.

I want to jump on the GH / RB guitar based game, band-wagon (horribly tedious pun not intended).

Which game is it best to buy as my first venture into this genre.

Please feel free to recomend vendors and prices too as I will take value for money into account, and I don't mind buying an out-of-date game, provided the guitar which comes with it is compatible with other games if I chose to make further purchases.

Thanks for your help.

I have to say I have been a fan of Guitar Hero since the first on on PS2 so for me it's GH every time. Trouble is I've not actually played RB so you need to factor that into my statement.

Also - what kind of music do you prefer? And do you intend on getting all of the instruments or just the guitar? Both of these may be factors in which you pick :smashin:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I may decide to get the full band set at a later date, but for the time being just a guitar will do as I'm only looking to see if it gets enough gametime before making a serious investment.

I couldn't say I preferred a specific genre of rock music really, but I wouldn't want a game that was full of heavy metal (not that I don't want any in my choice of game, but i'd like some variation). And if it helps any, I'm a 22 year-old brit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

I may decide to get the full band set at a later date, but for the time being just a guitar.

I couldn't say I preferred a specific genre of rock music really, but I wouldn't want a game that was full of heavy metal (not that I don't want any in my choice of game, but i'd like some variation). And if it helps any, I'm a 22 year-old brit.

Right - again bear in mind I can only really advise on Guitar Hero so if anyone wants to compare with Rock Band please feel free so Ham gets a nice balanced view :smashin:

Starting with Guitar Hero 3 which was the first on PS3:

Guitar Hero 3 was a very good balance or rock/metal songs (IMO).
Guitar Hero: World Tour took a step down in song choice in my eyes because it was much more "pop" type music (Oasis etc.) and I preferred old-school rock. Sounds like you may prefer it though ?
Guitar Hero: Metallica. Hmmm - I love it but probably not for you
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. Again - if not an Aerosmith fan probably best to go for a more varied title (although both Metallica and Aerosmith ones have other artists too).

Metallica is the first (currently only) with trophies if that's important to you.

World Tour and Metallica both have full band support - 3 and Aerosmith are guitar only (a consideration for possible future band purchase)

So on balance I'd say go for World Tour with a guitar bundle. I think that sounds like a good mix of music for your taste and you can add the other instruments later if you want to.

Do check online sites and check the track listings first though - I may have your taste totally wrong ;)

As for retailers... just try the usual online ones: Play, Game, Amazon etc :smashin:

Thanks, and to be honest it sounds like you got my taste correct from the game track list... nice one.

Will look into GH WT for now, but I look forward to hearing a RockBand-er's viewpoint.

I've just checked a few online retailers and there's a surprising variation in prices for GH:WT guitar bundle. Of the ones I checked HMV were cheapest @ ÂŁ54.99 (Amazon next @ ÂŁ61.64 then others seem fairly consistent at around ÂŁ69.99).

Obviously the second-hand one that golly99 is cheaper still but there are some new prices you can use for comparison :smashin:

So.... no-one got any Rock Band opinions ???

I pretty sure the GHWT and RB2 instruments are cross compatible so you could buy GHWT with the guitar (and drums :D) and then just get a copy of RB2 without any instruments, best of both worlds then :clap:

I pretty sure the GHWT and RB2 instruments are cross compatible so you could buy GHWT with the guitar (and drums :D) and then just get a copy of RB2 without any instruments, best of both worlds then :clap:

I thought you could use the GH instruments with Rock Band but not the Rock Band instruments with GH, not sure at all though.

Well having played most of the "guitar games" since Guitar Hero 1, i have to go with Rock Band 2 now. Guitar Hero has slowly mellowed the song lists, while the guitaring has become harder (sort of). Also GH:WT is not very good as a band game for a group of mates, most who will usually be pretty poor, especially if they've popped over after a night out drinking.

Rock Band 2 works better as a group game, both offline and on. Better song lists, more songs (rent RB1 and import the songs, then 500 odd DLC), better charting. The one downside is the drums use 4 tracks (sort of) vs GHWT's drums which have 5, but if you're guitaring that less of a prob.

Ignoring the specific group games, but between the main franchises i'd definitely recommend RB2 to you.

Another vote for rockband here. I prefer it to guitar hero, I find it a tad easier, a slightly better tracklist and a better look and "feel". My set-up is- GH:WT guitar, (which is much better than the rockband guitar), and rockband 2 with all rockband 1 songs imported. Perfect!:thumbsup:

Another vote for Rock Band 2 here!!!

Having bought Guitar Hero 2, 3 and World Tour I have found that my enjoyment levels have lessened with each incarnation to the point now where I can't be bothered to get GH:WT off the shelf anymore.

Rock Band 2 just seems more 'grown up', I prefer the design of the fretboard and the song list is just HUGE (if you rent RB1 and import the songs) plus I must have downloaded almost 80 songs (Foo Fighters DLC is just magnificent) the guitar is a lot less 'fisher price' and even when I do play GH i now use the RB Guitar rather than the GH one............Oh and did I mention the drums!!!
It gets a regular play and had beaten GH:WT into the floor in my opinion!

Until......................

Guitar Hero Metallica came along.............I have played this all night for the past 2 nights and I think it's the best GH game since GH2.....Proper Guitar songs!!

So what would I suggest, Pick up a copy of RB2, get yourself the full band kit (some good deals around at the moment) or at least the guitar, rent RB1, import the songs and then buy GH:Metallica and ROCK!!!!!!!

i think The Beatle: Rock Band will be my first venture in music gaming, looks great, has loads of hits hopefully and great for all ages. Only issue price, still, it has to be done

Can i just clarify something. I have GH3 game and guitar, if i were to buy rockband 2 game only, would the GH3 guitar be compatible? Are they made by the same company?

Thanks.

Can i just clarify something. I have GH3 game and guitar, if i were to buy rockband 2 game only, would the GH3 guitar be compatible? Are they made by the same company?

Thanks.

No - i'm afraid they are made by different companies and according to this the guitar hero 3 guitar doesn't work with rock band.

The world tour guitar does work with both rock band 1 & 2

No - i'm afraid they are made by different companies and according to this the guitar hero 3 guitar doesn't work with rock band.

Edit - i just realised I'm in the PS3 section :suicide:. Ignore my post.

You do realise that charts states the Les Pauls (GH3) works with all games.

Or have I read it wrong :confused:

Like I thought the RB/2 guitar doesn't work with GH2 or 3. Just vice versa.

Last edited:

Pretty sure it does work! I have GH:WT (with guitar), GH3 (with guitar) and rock band (with no instruments) and have played Rock Band in 2 player so it must work ;)
In my opinion Rock Band is the better game with a better track list but the Guitar Hero controllers are better.

To the guy that said he's always preferred Guitar Hero since PS2 days - you do realise that the guys that made Guitar Hero on the PS2 are the guys that make Rock Band and NOT the guys that make the current Guitar Hero games ;)

If you've got any glimmer of musical ability within you, go for GH.

If you're more interested in pushing the right coloured button at the correct time (i.e. you're more led by visuals) then go for RB2.

What does this mean? I'll explain: The timing window for guitar is very tight in RB2, you have to pretty much be spot on with the gem to hit the note. In GH the timing window is quite loose and as such you can be slightly late or early with your notes. And guess what - the latter is more like playing real music.

Real music is about feel, it's not about metronomic precision (for example, John Bonham always played slightly behind the beat) and GH's looseness allows this.

With GH I feel like I'm playing the song. I use the chart as a guide and play to the music.

With RB2 I feel more like I'm watching the screen. I follow the chart and the music is secondary.

I'm in a real band myself, and we all love GH. All of us, and we're all musicians. We don't get on with RB2 as well, it feels too tight and restrictive. GH allows us to "play" with more feeling. It sounds crazy, I know but because of the looseness of the GH engine, it feels more authentic.

I would recommend you buy the GH: World Tour band pack and rent RB2 to see how it feels. Worst case scenario then is you don't like GH and have to buy RB2 but at least the GH instruments will still work with RB2.

If you go for RB2 band pack you'll be stuck with an inferior guitar.

To the guy that said he's always preferred Guitar Hero since PS2 days - you do realise that the guys that made Guitar Hero on the PS2 are the guys that make Rock Band and NOT the guys that make the current Guitar Hero games ;)

I think you may be referring to me. I didn't say I preferred GH, just that I've played GH since PS2 and that I've never played RB.

I must admit one reason I didn't get into RB was out of some kind of irrational loyalty. I guess that's the definition of "Fanboy" so guilty as charged :(. I loved the original GH sooooo much that I couldn't think of moving to it's rival. How stupid is that ??? Another factor in my defence though was that originally the instruments weren't compatible and of course I already GH guitars.

Anyway - I liked the idea of the full band set but then when GH:WT was released I much preferred their drum set-up with the cymbol pads. But.... not so keen on the tracks. They went a little too "mainstream" for me. So hadn't really played it much until Metallica came out - now I'm all over it again :D

I'll probably give RB a go sometime now that the instruments are compatible :smashin:

Oh, and I did know that GH had changed hands, but I didn't realise that the old GH guys were now behind RB. Good to know :thumbsup:

Pretty sure it does work! I have GH:WT (with guitar), GH3 (with guitar) and rock band (with no instruments) and have played Rock Band in 2 player so it must work ;)

That may well be the case - i should say i only have GH:WT at the moment so have no way of checking but the chart i linked to claimed to be "official" from the GH people and although it said the GH3 guitar was compatible on Xbox 360 it says it is not on ps3.

But if you have actually checked it and it works then great:thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help guys :thumbsup:, I've had my offer accepted for the GHWT game and guitar pack mentioned on page one. I like the comment about playing to the music rather than with the screen, in the few times that i've tried dance games (female housemates, not that there's anything wrong with guys dancing!) i found them too restrictive in that respect.

I will look into renting or borrowing the RB games to see how I like them once I've had some gametime on GH.

Thanks again for your help everyone :smashin:, and I suppose this thread can be closed now :hiya:

Thanks for all your help guys :thumbsup:, I've had my offer accepted for the GHWT game and guitar pack mentioned on page one. I like the comment about playing to the music rather than with the screen, in the few times that i've tried dance games (female housemates, not that there's anything wrong with guys dancing!) i found them too restrictive in that respect.

I will look into renting or borrowing the RB games to see how I like them once I've had some gametime on GH.

Thanks again for your help everyone :smashin:, and I suppose this thread can be closed now :hiya:

Nice one :smashin: Time to turn the amp to 11 and release the inner rock god :D

I think you may be referring to me. I didn't say I preferred GH, just that I've played GH since PS2 and that I've never played RB.

I must admit one reason I didn't get into RB was out of some kind of irrational loyalty. I guess that's the definition of "Fanboy" so guilty as charged :(. I loved the original GH sooooo much that I couldn't think of moving to it's rival. How stupid is that ??? Another factor in my defence though was that originally the instruments weren't compatible and of course I already GH guitars.

Anyway - I liked the idea of the full band set but then when GH:WT was released I much preferred their drum set-up with the cymbol pads. But.... not so keen on the tracks. They went a little too "mainstream" for me. So hadn't really played it much until Metallica came out - now I'm all over it again :D

I'll probably give RB a go sometime now that the instruments are compatible :smashin:

Oh, and I did know that GH had changed hands, but I didn't realise that the old GH guys were now behind RB. Good to know :thumbsup:

LOL thats fair enough :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom