Which graphics card?

e-cams

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a standard Dell dimension desktop unit, 1 year old. Not sure of the exact spec to hand but its decent enough.

I'm going to be buying a new LCD TV (26 or 32") with HDMI and PC inputs and I would like to output my PC to the LCD.

How do I best do this? Would I be advised to upgrade to a new graphics card, if so which one?

I'll be using it to watch downloaded HD video and also for surfing the web.

As you can tell I don't know much so all advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

Being Dell, it's likely a standard card won't fit. You need to open yours up and see what video slot it uses, and whether there's room.

not that interesting... lol
Dell usually have smaller cases & I have seen various Dell computers that have a motherboard with no expansion slots for AGPx8 or PCI-Ex16 (graphics card slot interface)

If you can find the model number of your Dell PC i can have a look & see if i can find the specs

i heard somewhere that dells are more upgradebale these days, but could be a myth!

Hi all,
I have a standard Dell dimension desktop unit, 1 year old. Not sure of the exact spec to hand but its decent enough.

I'm going to be buying a new LCD TV (26 or 32") with HDMI and PC inputs and I would like to output my PC to the LCD.

How do I best do this? Would I be advised to upgrade to a new graphics card, if so which one?

I'll be using it to watch downloaded HD video and also for surfing the web.

As you can tell I don't know much so all advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks.:thumbsup:
All depends which desktop it is, Find out which model it is and do a search here http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums on upgrading the gfx, when I first bought my current dimension 5150 it had a x300 gfx card in and that was connected to my samsung 32inch lcd by vga and gave really good results for downloaded hd material, I have since put in a standard 7300gt :smashin:

Its a Dimension 3100. According to the Dell forum this desktop has '2 PCI slots' for video card upgrading. Does this info help in new graphic cards suggestions??

If you could open it up and take a photo of the motherboard. If it's only got PCI (not PCI Express) you can't upgrade it.

Aparantly there is no PCI express or AGP so guessing that means i'll have to stick with what i've got.

With that in mind, can I watch HD material (at 720P) on an LCD TV (32")screen with a PC slot over VGA? Or do I have to buy a new computer (or motherboard) so I can get a graphics card which can output HD at 720P?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom