1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which graphics card??!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Gooner442, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Gooner442

Gooner442

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good day all! :hiya:

I am buying a new computer, Athlon 64 3000 processor. I want a graphics card that will cope with the next generation games (Doom 3, Half-life 2 etc)but due to my budget not a high end card (radeon x800 XT or GF 6800). I am looking to buy one of the second bracket cards, I have heard that the Ge Force FX 5900 XT or the radeon 9800 XT would handle these games well enough. Can anyone advise me on the better of the two or if there are any others I should be looking at around the same price. I'm also confused about the RAM for these cards, they are both 128, is this enough?. Some other less expensive cards are 256, is it important of is there something else the GF 5900 XT or Radeon 9800 XT has?

I hope someone can give me some advice :lease:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I would buy the cheapest 9800Pro you can find, they are as low as 120 quid in some places. The XTs are still over 200 quid and you are better off getting a next gen card considering the performance/price difference between the Pro and XT.

I wouldn't worry about the RAM really. You need to decide on when you want to upgrade your graphics card, if this is a stop-gap then go for the cheapest 9800Pro. If this is something you want to keep for a while, then you will have to splash the cash. The middle of the road XT is not really worthwhile.

Same goes for the 5900, just go for the cheapest.

You will find that prices will not budge for a while, the new games have come out and everyone wants to upgrade. I would advise to wait if you want a bargain.

Both the cheaper ATis and Nvidia cards are capable of running DoomIII at decent levels, I should imagine the same goes for HL2.

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
  4. Gooner442

Gooner442

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the 6800 is the daddy then, and what are the extra pipelines for?

I was hoping to get a new system with the graphics card and all under the same warranty, I don't suppose anyone knows a good place?. I have tried Mesh, Tiny and Dell, just wondered if there are any more.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    id personally stay away from them companies but hey i build my own system's so im abit biased. i also dont think they would make a system like that. people like dell make poor systems put nvidia MX440's in and charge 800 pound. that 6800 is a real good card but dont get confused with it being the top range. it is the best card behind the x800's and the 6800 GT's & Ultra's.

IMPORTANT: you will need a good quality PSU to run the 6800. a min for me would be a quality 400W PSU. you can buy generic 600W PSU's that are **** and a good branded 300w would outperform it. have a look at antec's PSU's. i personally have a tagan 480W silent PSU running a A64 system with the 6800 GT and its steady as a rock :thumbsup: nothing like playing far cry maxed out :D

also have a look at some benchmarks to see yourself how much the vanilla 6800 beats the 9800's. take alook at the doom3 1's as well and you will be pleasently suprised (even tho i hate the game hehe) but not to start a doom3 flame war

6. paratus

paratus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would consider what you are buying the graphics card for. The reason I am saying this is that I bought a 6800GT. It works fine. The only problem is I'm wondering why I bothered buying it. There are no good games out for the PC atm and there wont be for quite some time. Unless you like endless WW2 clones that is. What I would do is use the money to buy a PS2 or GameCube instead. They are getting cheap now and have a huge backlog of cheap great quality games many of them platinum titles avalible for £20 or less. I bought Final Fantasy X used for £8 and used Gran Turismo 3 for £8.

This is only my humble opinion though, so take it or leave it.

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    if you want to get a 5900 xt, i'd recommend the gainward golden sample version, as you can overclock it a lot without any problems, its actually built with overclocking in mind.

i can play doom 3 on it in 1280x1024 high detail with fairly good performance except for areas with fog/smoke.

8. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    try this site it gives you reviews on a lot of cards but if i was you i would go for the 6800 series as it will blow away the others i.e 9800 and the 5900 and you can run it on a 350 psw with no probs
    http://www.ultimatehardware.net/video.htm

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Looking at tomshardware latest reviews, I would hold on for just another couple of weeks and spend the cash on either a new 6600 or X700 the mid range next gen cards, the performance is far better than the current cards in that price range, and not too shabby compared to the high end.

Review here :-

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040921/index.html