1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which graphics card sub £30

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by ted26, Oct 23, 2003.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am currently looking to purchase a agp graphics card for my daughters pc as she is using on board graphics at the moment which seems ro be struggling with GTA3(her fav game).

I dont really want to spend any more than £30 but i am open to your suggestions :)

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    What card is in the system at the moment?

Does it have an AGP slot?

The cheapest card that'll play GTA3 is probably an old AGP Geforce2MX. Dabs.com have them pretty cheap - have a look at their components - graphics cards section and sort the list by ascending price. They've got lots of 64 meg DDR cards in at the moment for £25 including VAT (but excluding delivery - usually adds 3 or 4 quid).

If GTA3 is your only requirement, and you're not likely to be playing anything newer then the old MX is a good bet. If you might be playing more recent games then you really need to spend 60 quid or so.

Dabs are OK - if the item you order is in stock you usally get it the next day. They're cheap, but the returns system isn't great. It's probably no worse than most online PC component suppliers tho.

3. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The old mx Geforce2 was the one i was looking at so thanks for your input Mr_Belowski :) I will order this one.

And yes it has 1 AGP slot.

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Cool. Don't expect miracles tho - you'll be limited to low resolution (800*600 ish) and no flashy stuff like anti-aliasing. It should work tho - my boss at work's got one in his PC and he says it runs GTA3 fine.

Hope it works out OK :)

5. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Geforce 2 mx440 on another machine that runs well but i ended up getting a Geforce 4 mx440!! only one they had in stock at local shop.

Is there any real difference apart from the 2 and 4 :)

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ted26,

Don't buy anything just yet. If someone can confirm that a GeForce 2 can do the job I think I may have one gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere. I need to check first but I don't recall ever getting rid of it. If it can run GTA3 you can have it for postage, can't be fairer than that. BUT, I need to see if I've still got it OK?

7. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thx CENSORED but have already purchased the g4 and all is up and running :D

Nice offer though m8 thx :) :smashin:

8. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have been looking for a replacement card for my sisters computer.

If you still have the GF2 card is there any chance of getting it for a fiver or something?

9. Garbage_Guy

Garbage_Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Gforce2 MX400 64mb agp card and it plays all my games at full 1024x768 screen no probs, UT2003 and Castle Wolfenstein
    Though Unreal 2 runs better in 16 bit mode than 32 bit.
    It also plays GTA Vice City better that GTA 3 !

10. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, dug out all of the old PC gear but it doesn't look good. GeForce 2 GTS box is empty :( I've got a Creative Voodoo 2, a couple of Voodoo 3's and a Matrox Millennium G200. I'm not sure what has happened to that GF2 so I'll hunt around a bit more. Sorry if your hopes were built up but you're more than welcome to choose from any of the above if it helps. I'll post back if I have any luck with that GF2.

11. Dom_k

Dom_k
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GTA3 doesnt run smooth on any pc. Its simply an awful port. Even my 9700 struggles in certain areas of the city. It didnt like ATI cards that much anyway but it ran like ass on my old pc with a gf2mx. Garbage guy how can you possibly say unreal 2 runs properly with a gf2mx??? You must like watching slideshows.

12. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    You must a have a problem with you setup.

I have always played GTA 3 and GTA:VC everything turned up to the max.

Have played it on a Geforce 3 Ti 500, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, and a ATi 9800 and an ATI 9800 Pro.

And an for CPU's an AMD 1400, AMD XP 2000 and an AMD XP 2400.

All ran perfectly no slowdown at all.

With both the Geforce 4 + Radeon 9800 card's I could play with 4xAA and 2xAF and still run perfectly.

It was a bit slower in places on a older Geforce 256 but that is to be expected.

13. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'd back that up, XP2000 with a geforce Ti4200, runs perfectly quick at 1280x1024. In fact its just as fast at 1600x1200 but i get strange artefacts at that resolution

14. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    micb3rd. you're an exception, not the rule. If you did a little research, you'd soon realise that GTA:3 is one of the most god-awful ports ever to appear on the pc. Halo being another prime example.

gta3 ran OK for me, just OK. gta:VC however, is smooth is butter on my rig because they did the job right this time.

15. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Err, you obviously have no idea on how much research I do on computer games and compatability between graphics cards and chipsets.

I personaly know 7 people who own GTA3 and GTA Vice City and have seen it run perfectly fine in many mid level systems.

I have spoken to hundreds of people online about the GTA and its issues and it is not that common problem.

The most common fixes, for the GTA games are:

1) Patch the game to latest patch (don't use illegal cracked game EXE)
    2) Make sure you have up-to-date motherboard AGP drivers.
    3) Make sure you have the latest ATI Cat's and nVidia Forceware drivers.
    4) Reinstall DirectX 9b and then load DXDiag to enumerate system.
    5) Change the in game sound to a different sound system.
    6) Disable Virus checker, inlcuding active scan.

Once people have gone through this list it is likely they will not have a performance problem anymore.

Trust me I know what I am talking about.

16. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    obviously you dont. You seem to know a few fixes for the problem, but fail to realise exaclty why that problem was there in the first place (or choose to ignore it).

7 people is nothing compared to the thosands of people that DO have problems.

and what about the thousands of people who do have problems with it? what about the gf3 owners who constantly suffered texture-loss (as did i with my old gf4 440mx, forcing me to re-install the game).

Think about why you have to do that in the first place?

because its a shoddy port.

Why are the dosen's of patches to increase frame rates at the expense of detail, for example patches the remove flying papers, or patches that force all pedestrians to use the same models?

because it's a shoddy port.

why do you have to re-install dx? i can't remember having to do that for any other game......

because it's a shoddy port.

Trust you? ive looked at and read through a countless number of threads detailing problems with gta3. I'd sooner trust the people with the problems.

notice that none of this happends with gta:vc - what does that tell you? That VC isn't a shoddy port. Infact they did a damn god job of it. Just as well they did after the roasting they got for GTA3 lol.

17. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67

Thousands of users????? Prove it to me.

Show me over a thousand people who have continued to have video problems with GTA3.

People in the past had bad video issues but most of that has been sorted out.

A lot of the past performance issues are from users who use old cards like 3DFX: Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Vodoo 3000+, Nvidia: TNT, TNT 2/Ultra/M64, S3 Savage and ATI Rage/Kyro these cards do not have hardware compliance for DirectX 8.1.

There are large differences between cards which have DirectX 8.1 compatability and [/b]compliance.[/b]

A texture loss problem can often be fixed with this.

For the whole FAQ from 2002 check out the page.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=43&t=20590&

I will admit the updated game engine for GTA Vicy City is much better that GTA 3, but blaming all of GTA 3 short comings on shoddy convertion is a cop out IMO.

18. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    im not going to find every darn thread detailing the problems, i'm sure you can do that yourself.

BTW i already knew about that, and no, it didn;t fix the texture-loss problem.

if the game was designed and coded as they should have done in the first place, it's wouldn't of have those problems. Just take a look at max payne2. besides the 5.1 audio problem, how many other problems does it actually have? Now that's a well written game.

19. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    A lot has changed in game development over last few years inbetween GTA 3 and Max Payne 2.

Max Payne 2 is faster than the Max Payne on the same hardware due to efficent physics, new lighting engine and reduced amount of graphics primitive count.

But it is to be expected as Markus Maki: the Project Leader for Max Payne 2, said it took two years develop the game, they built ontop of what they had and used what they learnt from the original Max Payne.

20. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    that's true, and they did a good job of it too. But you have to remember, max payne 1 was no slouch either.

21. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I'd agree with James here, it is widely acknowledged that GTA3 was a poor port, that did not run smoothly, regardless of sytem spec. This was rectified in VC. Maybe the original will run smoothly NOW on current drivers and current hardware, but thats not really good enough is it.

22. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I know people had problems but I had 3 average machines on my network at the time and they ran the game perfectly fine it never dropped below it 30 FPS limit.

Both GTA 3 and GTA Vice City have a frame rate limiter set to 30 FPS, when I used FRAPS to test the ingame FPS it was flat at 30 FPS.

I disagree that it was a poor port, but I really don't want to re-enter the argument as it is pritty academic now.